Oy Vey! 18 Kids...and Counting!

Lounge By KeltoKel Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 5:26am by summernoelle

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 65

The Duggars had their 18th!! I can barely keep up with just one! I am not conservative in the least, but I do admire their family dynamics. I have watched the show and it seems all their kids are healthy and normal. No autism, special needs, etc.

Anyhow, you have to give them credit for supporting their family and appearing happy.

I could never do it. I'd be kicking my husband off of me! LOL!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/18th_baby

64 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 65

Oh now that's just not right.

Neither is giving the whole brood names starting with 'J', every last one of them.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Oh now that's just not right.

Neither is giving the whole brood names starting with 'J', every last one of them.

Come on now Chutzpah, don't you know children are a blessing? Well, at least mine is. I especially am blessed when he is crying and screaming on the kitchen floor because I won't give him what he wants."

But in all honesty, I sure am blessed when he hugs and kisses me, or makes me laugh. And that he is healthy. But all in all, motherhood sure is hard!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 65

When they oldest boy got engaged before dating the girl I had to start to wonder about them.

I think it is great that they support themselves, and it seems that all the kids are happy and healthy, but they are also sucluded from the world in alot of ways. They are homeschooled, don't watch TV and have limited time on the internet. I wonder what would happen if any of them went off to college. Wonder if they could handle the shock in the culture change.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 65

That family creeps me out.

I honestly worry about the way those kids behave all the time on the shows. Either they edit problems or there's something going on at home that isn't good.

The mother is breeding herself into an early grave.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 65

Texas Sugar, I wonder that too. How realistic is their lifestyle and are the parents preparing them for the real world? There is nothing wrong with limiting TV, computer, etc., but you can't raise ignorant and/or naive children. You have to make them aware of the good and the bad in this world so that they can cope with it when they are faced with it.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

When they oldest boy got engaged before dating the girl I had to start to wonder about them.

I think it is great that they support themselves, and it seems that all the kids are happy and healthy, but they are also sucluded from the world in alot of ways. They are homeschooled, don't watch TV and have limited time on the internet. I wonder what would happen if any of them went off to college. Wonder if they could handle the shock in the culture change.

If my aunt's 9 children are a good indication it isn't pretty. All but one of her kids went completely wild, one was jailed for doing something to an animal on film,we never got details, and another gave birth to a baby knowing she wouldn't be allowed to take her home. Most eventually settled down but they don't go to church or anything. Right now the youngest is legally barred from entering at least one local store.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 65

While 18 kids isn't in my life plan, I am happy for them. From what we know about them, they support and take good care of their kids. Being a foster parent I know from personal experience that is more than I can say about a number of folks. I wish them nothing but the best!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 65

Her poor uterus.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #10 of 65

I'm so happy for the Duggar family! icon_smile.gif

I was raised a LOT like their family (homeschooled, limited tv/internet, etc.) and I think I've turned out okay... None of my siblings nor I have gone to jail, gotten into bad trouble, and the younger ones aren't wild kids.
OH, and I DID go to college, and I DID handle the 'culture shock' just fine. Just because someone raises their children differently than most doesn't mean that something wrong is going on, or they are doing it incorrectly.

JMHO

I don't mean to offend at all, I just wanted to post some more positive feedback about the Duggar family.

~Beth

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:33am
post #11 of 65

I have to say ... I think they are so weird! The way they shelter the kids every day and the oldest boy and the dating habits... it's all just weird. To each their own but I don't think it's anyway to raise a family. Not to mention, the parents aren't really doing all that much to take care of their kids, each older child is paired with a younger child and cares for them. They give them baths, get them dressed, the girls do all the laundry. I'm all for responsibility... I mean my 5 yr old vacuums, and my 18 month old helps unload the dishwasher... but it doesn't seem like they get much time to be kids plus how could you possibly give 18 children enough attention? And the one episode where they went to NYC, the parents are up front while they're walking around, holding hands, looking up at the buildings without a care in the world while the kids are taking care of each other and making sure no one gets lost... and then on the way home, they actually lost one icon_confused.gif

KeltoKel Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:59am
post #12 of 65

You know what's funny? Many of us are gagging at this family, but yet, we all know so much about the show! LOL! That means we much watch it! I admit, I tune in and then get hooked.

I wouldn't say they are awful or anything. I do agree "to each their own." I do wish them the best.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #13 of 65

We have a family in our community with that many kids. Someone made a documentary about this called "Welcome to the Waks family". Even by my community standards (where the average is probably 7-9) its a large family. The mother is a superwoman but all the kids help each other.

stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:33am
post #14 of 65

Oh how I wished I lived where you live ahuvas. I have three girls (5, 3, 1) and we'd like to have more eventually. I get such comments about how many kids we have. Most of the families around here only have one or two kids.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:56am
post #15 of 65

I think they're amazing and have a great deal of respect and admiration for the parents for raising such a wonderful group of kids.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:01am
post #16 of 65

i love that show! I even went online to vote for #18's name! LOL even if i would NEVER have that many, they are able to care for them, provide and they seem to enjoy their family.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 65

We hear about them frequently since they live in Arkansas but I don't watch the show very often. I admire that they are raising their children with high moral standards and all of the kids seem to be well-adjusted and well-spoken, especially the oldest boy that recently got married. I think they are doing a fantastic job and I wish more parents were like them.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #18 of 65

I take it that's some reality show. I don't watch much TV. Can a woman have 18 kids and be in good health? I am the youngest of 8 and I love being in a large, very close-knit family. I only have 3 kids, but if I had married sooner, I would love to have had more...just not 15 more.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Can a woman have 18 kids and be in good health?

She not only is in good health but look pretty good for being 42 and having had that many kids.

Did anyone see last nights show... the pop up at one point said she has been in labor for 300 hours (that's equal or close to 2 weeks). That's a HUGE amount of time.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:53am
post #20 of 65

While I admire the way that the kids behave and help out around the house (if the bad parts aren't edited out), I too wonder what these children will do when they get out on their own. Its like they aren't preparing them for the real world.

I've read comments on other forums how they think they (the Duggars) shouldn't be having that many children because there are starving kids and kids with no parents all over the world. But I think as long as they are taking care of the kids with no help from anyone moneywise "It's all good in the hood!"

I'd like to send my 3 boys over there for a week or two to learn some helping out skills! LOL

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #21 of 65

I watch regularly and what bugged me last night was the part about dancing. One of the boys pushed a button on a toy that played music and he started "dancing" as lil kids do. Well the camera guy told the oldest girl about it and she said he wasn't dancing, he was just moving! Now I agree, limit was music is brought into your house, but moving your body to music is normal and was even in the bible. What Jesus doesn't want you doing to tempting in your actions. ie...not grinding and booty moves.
But over all I like the family and especially their money habits.

Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

I watch regularly and what bugged me last night was the part about dancing. One of the boys pushed a button on a toy that played music and he started "dancing" as lil kids do. Well the camera guy told the oldest girl about it and she said he wasn't dancing, he was just moving! Now I agree, limit was music is brought into your house, but moving your body to music is normal and was even in the bible. What Jesus doesn't want you doing to tempting in your actions. ie...not grinding and booty moves.
But over all I like the family and especially their money habits.

True he was moving like all kids that age do to those types of toys but I almost wouldn't have called that dancing either.

I'll have to rewatch my recording of it later to see that part to see it

It would have been hillarious if the kid would have busted out an old school cabbage patch or sprinkler dance move or the "grap foot and move head and foot together" move.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 65

The Duggars seem like a great family to me. Just because their world differs from the one most of us live in doesn't mean it isn't a "real" world.

Who wants to live in the "real" world, anyway? In the "real" world, crack mothers leave their babies in dumpsters, babies are beaten to death by drunken boyfriends, children are locked in closets and starved.

Just because this family doesn't crack to modern society's whip doesn't make them weird or freaky. Everyone is different in some weird way.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:49pm
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I know a family like this and its tradition that every single person in the family names start with a 'J'...i actually know alot of families like that and for some they begin the names with 'J' because of Jesus. For some its symbolic and for others its just a preferance. I don't think theres anything wrong with that!

KKC Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Her poor uterus.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

After the pain i went thru with my one and only child...i am pretty freaked out about having a second one. I really want another one but everytime i think about the pain i change my mind. tapedshut.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #26 of 65

Well Kivia, I'm sure its not like this for everyone... but I was in labor for nearly a day with my first. Major issues with epidurals and pitocin... not fun at all. With my second and third baby, it was relatively easy. No medicine, labored at home for 5 or 6 hours and then headed to the hospital. My second child progressed so quickly at the very end, that I was literally holding back from pushing while they were getting me a room. the nurse was asking which room I wanted, I literally sat down on the floor and said right here will do and threw the maternity ward and especially my hubby into major panic! For the third one, I was in the hospital for just under an hour when my daughter was born so you never know, it might be easier the second time around!

KKC Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:03pm
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Not to mention, the parents aren't really doing all that much to take care of their kids, each older child is paired with a younger child and cares for them. They give them baths, get them dressed, the girls do all the laundry. I'm all for responsibility... I mean my 5 yr old vacuums, and my 18 month old helps unload the dishwasher... but it doesn't seem like they get much time to be kids plus how could you possibly give 18 children enough attention? And the one episode where they went to NYC, the parents are up front while they're walking around, holding hands, looking up at the buildings without a care in the world while the kids are taking care of each other and making sure no one gets lost... and then on the way home, they actually lost one icon_confused.gif

Sorry..i don't know how to put more than one quote on a post yet icon_lol.gif

But I couldn't agree with you more...i think that they are missing out alot on being kids. I see that in alot of families where the oldest has to care for the youngest when mom wants to go out on the town or mom just doesn't care. I personally believe that the parents (The Duggars) are teaching the girls that their purpose in life is to be a housewife, barefeet and pregnant almost every year. If you've ever paid attention to a few of the older girls interviews...they always talk about how they want a big family. Every one of their kids are no more than 2 years apart and more than a few of them are a year apart..not that theres anything wrong with that but...I would be losing my mind!

I do love how they teach them responsibility though. But like someone said previously they probably edit out the "bad" and I'm not trying to sound negative but out of all those kids there is bound to be one "bad apple" in the bunch!

Stephanie....i hear what ur saying but I am so freaked out. Right now my son is 7 so that tells you how freaked out i am. I went 2 weeks over my due date so i had to get induced...I was in labor for 24 hours with my son and i was pushing for too long...they would not give me a C-Section and I was cursing at any and everyone who was in the room. We both had high fevers and both were Anemic (sp?)...my baby was so pale that the doctors said he might have to stay an extra 10 days if he didn't get any color....I was sore for about 3 weeks. My baby gave me problems from the day he was conceived and is still giving me problems...i'm 26 with a bunch of gray hairs...but i wouldn't trade him for the world.

Do you think its possible to request a C-Section? I know all of the celebs do!

Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #28 of 65

I guess I'm a bad parent... both my kids have identical initials (KJA).

If it's a problem for them growing up I'll cover the cost of therapy for them as adults.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:51am
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Oh how I wished I lived where you live ahuvas. I have three girls (5, 3, 1) and we'd like to have more eventually. I get such comments about how many kids we have. Most of the families around here only have one or two kids.

Me too. Everyone is always shocked when they hear/see that we have 4 children.

stephaniescakenj Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:35am
post #30 of 65

Kivia, you can absolutely request a C-section. You just have to find a doctor that agrees with your views on that. Some doctors won't do it if it's not medically necessary but my hubby boss's wife requested one becuase her due date was on christmas and she wanted to be out of the hospital for the rest of her kids on christmas. You just have to find the right doctor. I can understand your concern though, my second daughter was released on time from the hospital but because she was early, she had jaundice and had to be readmitted the next day. Not for 10 days! but still very upsetting.

and CarolynGwen, my kids are all HEH, hailey elizabeth, heidi eloise & hannah emily!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%