Not Kidding...threw My Back Out Making Cookies...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm by -Tubbs

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 13

I was leaning over, piping a NFSC with buttercream and SNAP! There goes my lower back...

I am now decorating while under the influence of loratab...

12 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 13

Lordy, how are those cookies gonna look on loratab?

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 13

Woooo hoooo! Hopefully, better than usual.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 13

Heck......who cares how they look! You just may have the "best time" of your life decorating cookies!!! If they look funny, just think Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol..... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 13

Oooh, poor you. I slipped a disc a couple of months ago and it was AWFUL not being able to do anything. I felt like I was about 105.

I hope you feel better before Christmas.... and post pics of them cookies!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 13

Hubby threw his back and told the doctor, "All I did was bend over to pick up a pencil that fell on the floor!" Doctor told him that bending over to pick up the pencil didn't throw his back ... his back was ready to "be thrown" and just that little movement threw it over the edge. Doctor said most people THINK "picking up the pencil" is what did it .... but it's usually not.

Just some interesting trivia I thought I'd share! icon_biggrin.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #7 of 13

Decorating under the influence (DWI) = Loratab Cookies....Should we be worried?

I hope ya feel better soon.....

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #8 of 13

Oh I so believe you. My back has never officially gone out but after I make a good amount of cookies I can barely stand. Baking is hard core! icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #9 of 13

I feel your pain --mostly 'cause I don't have Loratab! icon_cry.gif Every time I take on a project, I almost need to go into traction afterwards. (diagnosed with bone spurs, degenerative disk disease, and arthritis in my back when I was in my thirties... now that I'm in my mid-forties, I just know to start my rx anti-inflammatories a day ahead of the long day. I could never do this as anything other than a hobby and don't know how the folks who manage to whip out multiple projects in a week are still standing. I sure you feel better soon. Take it easy, for sure!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:58am
post #10 of 13

Oh my! I feel like a little punk now. I whine all the time about my carpal tunnel and here you ladies are working with backs thrown out...you guys are like the gangsters of baking.

I'm praying for your speedy recovery though

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #11 of 13

I literally feel your pain, you'll find you keep going like the bunny when you have to. ( unless your back puts you totally down) I pray that doesn't happen to you I've been there. I had 2 lumbar surgeries and 2 cervical. I had carpal tunnel surgery on right hand in Sept have to have the left hand done this year. I just had an MRI and found out just yesterday I have to have surgery on January 23rd Happy New Year to me.

I can't wait to be able to bake without being on vicodin just to be able to stand for hours. Sometimes I think I've lost my mind, but as long as there is a will there will be a way. Merry Christmas to all you hard core bakers!!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:04am
post #12 of 13

No fun....that just goes to show we can hurt ourselves doing the simplest of things sometimes....

Hope you feel better soon!

Jen icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hubby threw his back and told the doctor, "All I did was bend over to pick up a pencil that fell on the floor!" Doctor told him that bending over to pick up the pencil didn't throw his back ... his back was ready to "be thrown" and just that little movement threw it over the edge. Doctor said most people THINK "picking up the pencil" is what did it .... but it's usually not.

Just some interesting trivia I thought I'd share! icon_biggrin.gif

Yup, that's definitely true. Mine went when I was carrying the recycling out to the garage. Had to crawl back to the house. Ouch.

Of course it wasn't the recycling that did it, it was the moving a very large, heavy pile of lumber the weekend before, twice (once into the trailer, once out). The Physiotherapist I saw after said my disc was waiting for an opportunity to pop out. Now I am better at listening to my back - it tells me when it's struggling, and these days, I listen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%