Cake Balls Covering Cake...how?

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 7:22am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 8

If any of you have seen April Reed's website, then you've noticed her chocolate cake studded with truffles. I'd like to make a chocolate cake and cover it with cake balls. How? Should I cover the cake in fondant, then stick them on with toothpicks? Can the cake be done in buttercream? I'm afraid that the weight of the balls will make them fall off? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, haven't seen any cake like that. If you can post a photo, maybe we can help you out. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 8

I have not seen the cake you refere to either. It would be helpful if you can post a pic or link.
I have a feeling that it is super easy; you are making a big problem out of it when it is a very simple thingicon_smile.gif....... but until I actually see what you are talking about I can't say for sure.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 8

I made a cake that sound like what you are talking about. I used truffles, but Im sure cake balls will be very similar. Mine was covered in chocolate paste, and then I "glued" the truffles on using some melted chocolate. This wont work on a BC cake, there I would imagine your toothpick idea might be the best way.
HTH
Im attaching a pic of the cake I made

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 8

Who is April Reed? Do you have a link to this site and the cake you are speaking of?

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 8

It's aprilreed.com. I can't post the pic but she doesn't have a whole lot of cakes on the site. Just go to her main page and click on cakes. You'll see it.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 8

That cake looks like they must be stuck on with toothpicks or wire.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:22am
post #8 of 8

riana, that cake is full awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%