Help..1St Wedding Cake..best Method Of Stacking

Decorating By aa053103 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 1:00pm by leah_s

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 10

I have my 1st wedding this saturday. I have my cakes leveled and filled and tomorrow I will be decorating them. The cake originally was going to be an 8, 10 and 12 but I told the bride I was going to have batter laeft over enough to do a 6 inch. She's the cousin of a really good friend of mine so I told her I wasn't going to charge extra for the 6 inch.

I've done a few stacked cakes but never a cake with 4. I've been using straws to put into the cake and then dowel through the top cake down in the center all the way to the bottom.

When I'm trasnporting the cake for saturday, I thought of having the 10 and 12 inch already stacked and doweled through and doing the same for the 6 and 8. The when I get there, put the 6 and 8 on top and finish the border on site.

Would this be a good method to use? I haven't been nervous at all until now (I feel like I'm getting the cold feet..haha..j/k!). I just want my cake to get there safe and soundly.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Ana

9 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

I know alot of people will say straws are fine, but I say.....SPS. You cant go wrong with it. It saves so much time on stacking your cakes and is so much easier than using straws. Good luck!

aa053103 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 10

I know. I've seen twhe rave revies about SPS but it's something that is not in my budget at the time being. I believe sugarshack uses bubble tea straws but I can't find those at the regular supermarket. I guess I just need some reassurement that this will work.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 10

I strongly advise using wooden dowels or the heavier duty hollow tubes/plastic, instead of just straws, and I know several here at CC would advise using sps system, but you don't have time.
Also, you are correct about it being ok to transport the two bottoms together, and then adding the top two when you get there. I usually do that and haven't had any trouble. Although, have transported 3 together when not going very far. But, I was sitting in back with it, having a stroke. icon_wink.gif
I usually run the center dowel down through the ones that are being transported "stacked together." (only the two bottom ones.)
Good luck! I'm sure it will go well!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 10

At this point in the timeline, I'd say use dowels or the W Hidden Pillars.

But please remember that SPS would be about $15 for this cake. If you plan on doing any stacked cakes in the future, you could go ahead and order some basic supplies to have on hand.

I would never use regular straws.

aa053103 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 10

Ok, I'm gonna try to go to Michael's tonite or maybe really early tomorrow to buy the buy the pillars. I saw one website that had the plate with the pillars really cheap but I asked the owner of a local cake deocrating shop just to use the dowels and the cakeboard.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 10

[quote="Sweetcakes23"]I strongly advise using wooden dowels or the heavier duty hollow tubes/plastic, instead of just straws, and I know several here at CC would advise using sps system, but you don't have time.quote]

I agree, if you don't have the time nor funds for SPS, then definately something stronger than a straw. I have used 1/2 inch pvc and it works really good. Its very sturdy.

aa053103 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10

What about the hidden pillars from Wilton?

aa053103 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 10

Ok, I called Michael's and Joann's and they say they don't have it. So, I'll tell hubby to go to Home Depot tomorrow morning and buy some pvc. Thanks for your help ladies. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 10

It's really odd that your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby don't carry the Wilton Hidden Pillars. They'll certainly do in a pinch.

SPS tends to be more of a specialty product that you have to buy online.

But really the local craft stores should have the hidden pillars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%