Child Overweight, According To The School

Lounge By michellenj Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm by bakincakin

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:38am
post #31 of 34

HIPPA doesn't keep schools from appraising parents of an "outbreak" of diseases in schools. They won't tell you WHO had it or what class they are in, just general grade levels.

I signed the decline to immunize forms for my littlest. I am immunizing her, but she started Kindergarten at the age of 4 and because previous immunizations were 3-6mo behind due to severe illnesses she had contracted, my Ped. wanted to wait until she was 5 to give her all the required immunizations for school. The school was required to notify me of any disease outbreaks in the school and if specific illnesses were involved, my child was NOT allowed at school! Our school nurse was very good about notifying me, to the point she called to let me know there was a Pneumonia case in Kindergarten, yup there was... it was MY child!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #32 of 34

2 years ago at my ds and dd school the did the BMI testing. We as parents had no knowledge it was being done until we all the got the letters. dd's was normal, but ds (who is very thin) received a letter stating he was severely underweight and needed to seek medical attention ASAP. He saw and read the letter and was extremely upset. I called our Dr. who said ds was within normal ranges for his age, height and weight. Needless to say, they haven't done it since.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #33 of 34

In defense of schools...

For those of us who are good parents and watch our kids for signs of illness or over/under weight concerns, we may get upset. BUT there are so many parents out there who don't even pay attention to their children and who don't put the same level of care. These teachers are looking out for their students. My friend is a teacher, and she called me asking about something my daughter had just been diagnosed with, because she thought her student had it. My friend was so frustrated because the mom wouldn't take her to the dr for 2 more days (according to the child), because she had to wait until Saturday. This is a mom who sends her daughter to school smelling like pee because the dogs get in the bath and pee, and they don't change the water. This case has been reported to CPS as neglect, but because the child's life is not in immediate danger, there's nothing they can (or will) do, because they have so many cases. My friend has so many students who have horrible home lives and it just breaks her heart that she can do so little to help. So they do what they can. I'm glad someone is paying attention to these poor kids who have no one!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

In defense of schools...

For those of us who are good parents and watch our kids for signs of illness or over/under weight concerns, we may get upset. BUT there are so many parents out there who don't even pay attention to their children and who don't put the same level of care. These teachers are looking out for their students. My friend is a teacher, and she called me asking about something my daughter had just been diagnosed with, because she thought her student had it. My friend was so frustrated because the mom wouldn't take her to the dr for 2 more days (according to the child), because she had to wait until Saturday. This is a mom who sends her daughter to school smelling like pee because the dogs get in the bath and pee, and they don't change the water. This case has been reported to CPS as neglect, but because the child's life is not in immediate danger, there's nothing they can (or will) do, because they have so many cases. My friend has so many students who have horrible home lives and it just breaks her heart that she can do so little to help. So they do what they can. I'm glad someone is paying attention to these poor kids who have no one!

I have to agree with you whole heartedly. I didn't raise a stink, just called my Dr. to question it. I understand completely the need to do it, it's just too bad that the parents of the kids it's directed at don't do a thing about it thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%