Gingerbread Frosting

Baking By JillK Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm by Win

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 8

I recently saw an ad for a chain ice cream shop/bakery that promoted a cake with gingerbread frosting. Mmmmm ... I love anything gingerbread.

I have some ideas about creating something like this, but wanted to see if any CCers had a recipe I could try before I start "wasting" batches of frosting. icon_rolleyes.gif Although my DH would be thrilled.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I already tried a general Internet search. I would up with a lot of royal icing recipes for gingerbread houses! icon_razz.gif

7 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:49am
post #2 of 8

Yum! How about a Vanilla BC with molassess added into it? Kind of a twist on using carmel for a carmel BC.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:54am
post #3 of 8

ummm, or how about making whipped cream frosting and adding cinnamon, allspice, and cloves to it? Now, THAT sounds like it would work. Just take a regular BC yummy recipe, like your Favorite, and add that.

And don't tell me if it worked because I already WANT some! icon_cry.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 8

Mmmm ... good ideas. Thanks! I'm going to try something this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif And warning: I probably will post it if it turns out at all decent ...

Here's hoping!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 8

I'd try using molassas (about 2T) and ground ginger (about 1/4 t) to flavor it and maybe som bri=oken up ginger snaps, kinda like oreo cookie bc...

Good luck, you may be on to something icon_wink.gif

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 8

O .. I SO should not have read this post! Now .. I WANT GINGERBREAD!! YUM! icon_cry.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

This is the only recipe I could find. I was think if you just made your reg buttercream and added these spices(from martha's recipe), that might work too. Let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=3dd13df330ae6110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 8

I think one needs to be very careful when adding nutmeg, etc. to a frosting. It is very overpowering and can actually turn people off. I would approach a buttercream frosting from the angle of gingerbread ice cream. When made from scratch, this is usually a rich vanilla base with no more than 2 teaspoons of molasses added and additional ginger (to taste, but again, no more than two teaspoons.) You could add crushed gingersnaps to the buttercream as well same as one does Oreos, etc...

edited to add that I missed the above reply with the same recommendations! So sorry...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%