'stripes' In My Fondant!

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm by GI

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:34am
post #1 of 8

Hi there

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong when I cover sponge cakes in fondant?

I love trying to get a really smooth finish on my sponge cakes - but I've noticed that I can almost always see where the layers are around the sides. I think it must be from the butter cream that I sandwich the layers with (I also crumb coat it before putting the fondant on)

Do I need to leave the buttercream to 'set' before covering with fondant? Or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again

7 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:48am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean that there are "bulges" where the frosting is in between the layers? If this is the case, then yes......you need to let it settle a bit before covering. You could also be using too much buttercream frosting underneath, this is a common reason for "bulging". Try using less frosting & then letting the cake settle as well, that will hopefully solve the problem for you.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

Hi, what I do is, first torte the cake. Then put the first layer on the cake board. Then I put an icing dam around the edge and then put the filling. I don't put too much filling though. Then put the next layer on the top. Cover the cake with saran wrap and leave it over night to settle. Next day, if there is any bulging, you should eb able to see it. Take a knife and just straighten around. Then put a thin layer of buttercream and smooth it as possible. Then, while you roll out the fondant, put the cake in the freezer. Don't make the fondant too thin. Take the cake out and cover it with fondant.

I learnt this from sugarshack. So I highly recommend it, if you want to learn it properly.

HTH.

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

Hi,

I sometimes get the same problem. I try and only use a small amount of buttercream and jam to torte the cake. I find If I use too much thats when I get the bulges. Also leaving it to settle helps.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 8

I used to have this problem all the time and I did everything! I let it set overnight, I didnt do the buttercream too thick, didnt do the filings too thick, etc.

What I discovered is that I was 1) rolling the fondant too thing and 2) not using a stiff enough dam. It was actually oozing out a little. I now make a really stiff buttercream (like you would use to make roses) and use this as the dam. I then let it settle, then trim it alittle so the damm is even with the cake. and roll my fondant 1/4 inch thick. This really seems to have solved the issue for me.

My other question is I noticed you said you are using sponge cake. Is it strong enough to handle fondant?

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:45am
post #6 of 8

Once again - your advice is brilliant.

I didn't know about making a 'dam' and I definitely tend to roll the fondant too thin I think. I've just made a '0' for a '60' cake and there are no bulges in the three layers.

Thank you thank you and Happy Christmas!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:05am
post #7 of 8

Okay, so am just going to pop into this thread here and hit a reply. icon_smile.gif

(Home page has GI lit up all over the place...couldn't resist...besides, I have no life on a Friday night. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif )

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 8

I forgot to say welcome to CC kbaby! icon_biggrin.gif

AlixCakes I'll watch for your cake post! I also think you are on the right track with these ladies' hellpful hints!

(um, sorry to put in the previous post. I think I was getting delirious from snow-brain. icon_redface.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%