So Many "firsts" Today!

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm by shannon100

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #1 of 16

Today I decided to try several new things today, and I was so excited about them! I did 2 cakes: a 12x18, half chocolate, half yellow, and a 9-inch round, marbled.

I did the flower nail trick. I only had 1 nail, so I put it in the middle of the 12x18. (I thought I read somewhere you needed at least 2 in that size, but I wanted to try just one.) It worked so well!! My cake ended up rising more on the edges, and didn't have a huge dome like it has before. It also came up to the edges of the pan, so I was able to level it in the pan, using the edges as a guide. (Of course, it might have been higher because I had more batter that I have in the past. I made 4 mixes (2 choc, 2 yellow), and took out 2 and a half cups out of each flavor to marble together for the 9-in.)

For the 9-in, I did the trick where you put a cake board on top of them cake and flatten them while still in the pan to avoid leveling. It worked great!

I also tried brush embroidery for the first time today. I LOVED it! It was so fun, and turned in so well. It was a really cool technique. I used a cookie cutter for the leaves. (See pic below.)

Last first- I have always just used foil on my cake boards, but today I covered them with wrapping paper and saran wrap. I loved how they looked! I'll definitely do that again! It just look so pretty!

Here's the brush-embroidery cake. TFL!
LL

15 replies
foxyjos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxyjos Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:40am
post #2 of 16

The brush-embroidery looks great! can't wait to try it myself some day icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 16

Good job! Don't you just love trying new things! icon_smile.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 16

You did a great job. It doesn't look like the first time!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 16

Brush embroidery is my absolute favorite technique!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 16

ohhh, I wanna try the brush embroidery too. I've done the flatten thing so as not to level and love it. Makes the cake more dense too.mmmmm

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 16

Looks great! I agree, this doesn't look like a first try at all. You should be proud. I want to try that technique myself real soon.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 16

YAY Shannon!!! You go girl! It's so much fun learning new ideas and techniques.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 16

I think it looks wonderful! I haven't tried the brush technique yet, but I plane to soon.

You did great!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #10 of 16

Your cake is very pretty. I will have to try brush embroidery (sp) soon. It was taught in the 3rd Wilton class.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 16

Great job on that Christmas cake! I love the idea you gave on covering boards with wrapping paper then saran wrap too. I have a question regarding brush embroidery can you do that with BC on fondant covered cake too?

Happy Holidays
Chippi

shannon100 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks everyone! I forgot to say this cake was inspired by SweetPea0613.

Chippi, I've never used fondant, so I don't know, but I think you can.

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 16

Your cake looks so simple and classy! I love it!

BTW what is brush embroidery?
How did you get your saran wrap to stay so pretty on your cake board, any tips?

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 16

Sorry, double post! Oops! icon_redface.gif

Happy Holidays!

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 16

WOW! Those are some great ideas that I've never heard of or even thought of. I'll have to try some of those. Thanks for sharing. LOVE the cake! The leaves look SO cool.

shannon100 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone! Everything I did was from something I read on this awesome site!

Quote:
Quote:

BTW what is brush embroidery?
How did you get your saran wrap to stay so pretty on your cake board, any tips?

Brush embroidery is where you pipe the outline of what you want, and take a brush and pull it in towards the middle. SeriousCakes has a youtube video about how to do it. I watched it a few times before I decided to try it.

With the saran wrap, I pulled it out from the box, wrapped it around one side of the cake board and pulled it tight BEFORE I tore it from the box. After it was stretched across the board, I tore it off. Then I kept pulling it tight around the other side and straightened everything I needed to. I taped it on the back. Then I did the other half of the board. It just takes a little bit of time, but it's possible!! icon_smile.gif I also had an extra set of hands for this one, but I did a 12x18 by myself. It was definitely harder by yourself than with help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%