Help Needed Making A Cake Using The Giant Cupcake Pan

Decorating By kdosreis Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm by KathyTW

kdosreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdosreis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 5

So I'm doing a cake for a party on Saturday & they requested 5 doz cupcakes (no problem there) & a pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling, that looks like a giant cupcake. I went and bought the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan thinking it would be no problem. Now I'm kind of freaking out, 'cause I'm not sure how I want to make it. icon_eek.gif

Any advice from those of you who have experience making one of these... do you tort and fill it? I'm thinking it would distort the look of the cupcake. At the same time I can't imagine making a cake without filling. Now I'm rambling...

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #2 of 5

No, don't freak out - i have used different cakes recipes using the big cup cake pan and yes - i do torte them.
Actually i use my electric knife and slice it into three sections.

As long as you line the vertical lines back up when putting it together it will look fine. thumbs_up.gif

BH

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:37am
post #3 of 5

I've used my giant cupcake pan several times, and I've always torted the bottom part and filled it - just used a thick filling because it does get kind of slide-y - and filled between the top and the bottom. I torted the top once and filled it, but it didn't seem to add anything so I stopped doing that. So, I basically have 3 layers of cake, and 2 layers of filling - plus, of course, lots of frosting all over the outside.

A trick I learned, though, is to make sure to frost the underside of the top - there's an overhang when you put the pieces together, and no matter how good the rest of it is, it seems like all I see is naked cake if I forget that step.

kdosreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdosreis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

I've made several of these giant cupcakes....at first Iwas having trouble with the inside of the bottom half being done (even when using a rose nail) because I didn't want to overbake the top. I started using a small circle cookie cutter with a handle and removed the middle of the bottom and filled it with the BC or fruit filling. I liked the final product so well I still do it, even when I'm sure the cake is done all the way through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%