Using Grand Marnier For The First Time

Decorating By Win Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm by superstar

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a Buche De Noel for the weekend and am planning a Molasses Sponge Cake with a cooked vanilla cream center filling. I think the sponge cake will taste like gingerbread so I wanted to add the Grand Marnier to either the vanilla filling --or, should I use it in the simple syrup I use to coat the cake? I've never used this particular liqueur before and I am not sure how strong it is. Keep in mind, the majority of people at this gathering are Southern Baptists... icon_lol.gif What would the experts recommend?

4 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

I've done it both ways. Either works. I kind of like it in the icing because it doesn't make the cake to sweet and you can really control the flavor. Good luck. Sounds yummy.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 5

I personally find the Grand Marnier to have a VERY strong flavor! I would experiment first.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

Um, I thought Baptists don't drink/use alcohol. That's how my husband was brought up, anyway.

Grand Marnier is an orange liqueur. Gingerbread + orange? That sounds odd to me. Let us know how it turns out!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 5

I actually have a recipe for orange gingerbread which is absolutely delicious, it was a recipe I got from my MIL. Grand Marnier is best used in the frosting, I think. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%