My First Gum Paste And Sculpted Cake... Trouble W/ Gum Paste

Decorating By LILBOBO1980 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm by msmeg

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

I just finished my first sculpted cake/gum paste and I am pretty happy with it but I had a lot of problems with the gum paste. Most of my flowers were not completely dry and I waited over 24 hours. What is the fastest way to dry gum paste???

4 replies
kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

I'm no pro, but my GP takes awhile to dry as well. If you can get air to all sides it helps tremendously. The thinner you roll it out the better as well. Thicker elements take longer to dry. Also, I noticed it makes a big difference if I roll it out on a greased area in lieu of one coated in Cornstarch. Cornstarch seems to help it dry faster as you're not working in more moisture as you would with say Crisco.

I hope it helps! icon_biggrin.gif

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 5

That makes complete since. I did grease my surface with a little bit of Crisco icon_surprised.gif . Ohhh well lesson learned. Thanks for the information!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah, the thinner the better...the more air, the better. It has taken mine almost 3 days to dry at least. Overall though....it looks fantastic! Great work!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 5

24 hours is far to short of time to dry gumpaste. allow a minimum 33 days and longer for thicker pieces

You can try to speed up the drying in a warm oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%