Making Chocolate Icing White?

Decorating By TyeRiley Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm by jguilbeau

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a cake for my grandfather's 72nd birthday on Christmas Eve. He wants devils food cake and chocolate icing. I want to make him a fish cake and I'm not sure that the airbrushed colors would show very well on chocolate icing. I want to give him a cake he wants so I thought maybe I could airbrush the chocolate buttercream white,let it dry, and then airbrush the other colors. The problem is I only have access to wilton colors and the only thing I've seen is icing whitener. Can I airbrush icing whitener? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thankyou.

9 replies
liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 10

I would think not, but I'm not quite sure....so I'll offer a "bump"....Good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 10

Covering the cake with white fondant over chocolate frosting will give you the canvas you need to airbrush...

(The fondant can be removed by anyone who doesn't wish to eat it, leaving the chocolate frosting to enjoy.)

HTH

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10

have you considered making white chocolate icing??? That may work better than coloring that chocolate white.

TyeRiley Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 10

thankyou for your replies. I'm kind of scared of the fondant idea because I've never covered an entire cake with it and since I hoping to make it a carved fish cake it makes me nervous, but maybe I'll have to consider trying it.
I thought about white chocolate icing but he doesn't like white chocolate. So I won't make that. But thankyou for trying to help. I know he would love the fish cake but I don't want to dissapoint him with not having chocolate icing. Maybe I will have to consider the fondant. Thanks again. Any other ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 10

Neilson Massey makes chocolate extract. You may want to try using that. I've never used it without cocoa powder before, but it's worth a shot. That way, your icing will still be pretty much white.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:28am
post #7 of 10

I think you should definitely consider the fondant, or else, how about torting the cakes so that you have 3 layers of filling, rather than one. That is where you will put your chocolate icing: it'll be inside the cake (as at least one of the "filling" layers, or even all three). Then just ice it in white buttercream and airbrush as planned. You get to make your lovely design, and he doesn't lose out on any of the chocolatey goodness.

My favorite is chocolate cake w/chocolate icing, so that is what I would do for MYSELF if fondant was not going to be an option.

TyeRiley Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 10

Thankyou all so much for your help. I looked for the chocolate flavoring and couldn't find any. Unfortunately do to three different snow storms we're suppose to get between tonight and tuesday I don't think I'm going to get to go check anywhere else. The torting three times is probably what I'm going to do or I'll just make another small cake that looks like a tackle box or something to go along with it. He's pretty easy going so he won't be upset or anything. He even said that I didn't need to do a big fancy cake that he would be happy with a small chocolate cake with chocolate icing. But I know he will LOVE the fish cake. Thankyou again for your help it is very appreciated. Thanks.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

how about torting the cakes so that you have 3 layers of filling, rather than one. That is where you will put your chocolate icing: it'll be inside the cake (as at least one of the "filling" layers, or even all three). Then just ice it in white buttercream and airbrush as planned. You get to make your lovely design, and he doesn't lose out on any of the chocolatey goodness.

This is what I was going to suggest, too.

For the love of pete, DO NOT put that icing whitener in your airbrush!!!!! It's evil stuff! I dribbled a little onto the rubber disposal flange in my sink and over a year later, it's STILL there!

I don't think you could airbrush chocolate icing whte, however, if you do need white or to lighten a color in the future, Americolor makes a white airbrush color.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 10

What type of fish are you planning on carving. If you are using dark colors for your fish it might work over milk chocolate buttercream frosting. I would do a test by icing a paperplate and try airbrushing different colors you may need like the greens, browns, gray. They may surprise you and do just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%