Help How Do I Make A Cake Topper?

Decorating By cakesmade4u Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm by cakesmade4u

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone help I'm stuck I love all the beautiful toppers that alot of cc community makes and I decited to make a few for my cakes but I only got as far as a large number and I don't know how to make it stand up. I don't want to stick it directly in the frosting, do I use a base of gumpaste then glue with royal icing? Or glue a stick to it to insert in the cake ? Where do I place the wires in, the ones with the decorations on them? Thanks icon_redface.gif

5 replies
BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

Toothpicks work the best. If they are already dry w/o the toothpick stuck inside, then use some gumpaste as glue to stick the toothpicks to the back. I also used some melted chocolate as a stablizer, as well.

Good luck....I have totally been in your shoes!

cakesmade4u Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! Do you think I should use gumpaste to place the wire in and attach it to a base or in back and around the number so the other flowers and decorations can attach that way? Or is there a easier way?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with Blondiez... toothpicks, or skewers for larger pieces (cut to size), and attach with melted chocolate (usually white).. Very easy and effective... Wires inserted before the gumpaste/fondant drys work best for small pieces only...

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, I use toothpicks and skewers on mine. Make sure you let it dry DAYS in advance! Good Luck!

cakesmade4u Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the responds I will try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%