From 6 Per Month To 6 Per Week...help!

Business By sweetlayers Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm by -K8memphis

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:18am
post #1 of 13

Don't get me wrong, in this cash strapped economy, I don't want to let any opportunities slip through my fingers, so I quickly say yes to everything and anybody. However, the last few weeks have been VERY hectic to say the least.

I have gone from 4-6 cakes per month to a minimum of 6 cakes per week. That would be great if I didn't work 40+ hours per week at a full time gig. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions on how to get it all done with a "Bree Van de Camp" smile?

I need some serious advice.

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 13

I spent a year and a half getting by on 4 hours sleep a night. Accept the fact that you are going to be very tired for awhile! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 13

Seriously, charge more and take fewer jobs. The phrase "Im sorry, I'm booked for that date." will set you free. Taking on too much will suck all the fun out of it, and you'll burn out quickly. Raise your prices a little and set a limit on how many cakes you want to do per week, then STICK TO IT!!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Seriously, charge more and take fewer jobs. The phrase "Im sorry, I'm booked for that date." will set you free. Taking on too much will suck all the fun out of it, and you'll burn out quickly. Raise your prices a little and set a limit on how many cakes you want to do per week, then STICK TO IT!!!

Costumeczar is exactly right -- raise your prices a little and always have a limit on how many orders you can take. I think sometimes the more customers hear you are booked the more they want you for the next time -- because you must be the "it" person if you are so in demand!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 13

I totally agree with costumeczar and southerncake. If you set a limit on the number of cakes and are turning away orders, people will realize that your cakes are popular for a reason and they will start booking farther in advance and be willing to pay more.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 13

I understand. I started out a cake here and there. I worked 6 days a week and in the spring i also take care of our town little league. i never knew how i did it. i average about 8 cakes a week. I have three boys.
I weighed my odds and I needed more time with my kids. I quite my job
enjoy my kids. Make cakes for income. I love it!!! I have 16 cakes this week. and don't feel stressed. If it starts to get to be to much just say no. Sorry I'm booked up. it seams that when i told people I was booked they would call back. They learned to call and order from me in a three or four week advance. good luck

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 13

Be very organized, have a schedule, for example, every Monday buy all the ingredients and supplies for all your cakes, make as many decorations as far ahead as possible, on Wednesday make your icings and fillings, Thursday, bake, fill, and crumbcoat, color icings, Friday, ice and decorate.

But most of all, don't be afraid to say "Sorry, I'm all booked up!" Raise your prices and get the same amount of money for less orders. I cannot emphasize this enough! OTherwise, you will get overextended and make mistakes, get rundown and sick, and get burned out. Be sure to block out some weekends for famil time. I have known of several people who had the mentality that they had to take every order and were afraid to raise prices, and burned out very quickly. I knew of one who opened a shop only to burn out and close it 6 months later because she was overworked and overextended. She had plenty of business, and I never understood why she didn't just raise her prices significantly to cut down the orders and still have the same income...

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 13

I too have such a hard time saying NO it is really hard to make the words come out of my mouth.
I know I have taken on more this month and I can only justify the tree not being up yet and presents not bought by thinking to myself....Jan will be slow enjoy the ride and shop the after Christmas sales!!
I am usually not as organized as I should be, this rush has forced me to be!!
Hang in there!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 13

if you can get more organised and do some things in an assembly line ...you'll save lots of time.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Don't get me wrong, in this cash strapped economy, I don't want to let any opportunities slip through my fingers, so I quickly say yes to everything and anybody. However, the last few weeks have been VERY hectic to say the least.

I have gone from 4-6 cakes per month to a minimum of 6 cakes per week. That would be great if I didn't work 40+ hours per week at a full time gig. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions on how to get it all done with a "Bree Van de Camp" smile?

I need some serious advice.

I would not turn anyone away unless you absolutely have to. Like Indydebi said, accept it and keep on trucking. Some months may not be as busy as others. But ultimately it is your decision.

Wesha

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 13

I totally agree! Sometimes you just have to say no.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 13

If you are feeling overwhelmed...say "I'm sorry but I'm full that weekend". I was doing only 3 or 4 cakes a month...then for 6 straight weeks, I had 4 cakes per week and I am in school full time, run the books for my hubby's business, and have 2 small kids. I was staying up until 1 or 2 am and getting up at 6:30am....I was exhausted! I finally came down with Shingles and my doctor told me to take a break and that I was doing way too much at a time!

Sometimes you just gotta say no....good luck with your decision!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with everything everybody said and especially Liapsim. Loose some sleep, say no, charge more, assembly line, but but but but but most especially important watch your health, GF!!!

It's easier to bounce back if you don't have to fully hit the wall first.

(((hug)))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%