Need Help! How Much Batter Will I Need?

Decorating By nicole379 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm by CakesbyBecca

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 7

I have a red velvet cake recipe that says it yeilds enough to make 3 9inch round cakes.

I'm wanting to make a 12 inch heart...well actually (2) 12 inch hearts (Wilton pan) because I'm going to put a filling in between them and then enough to make 1/2 sports ball pan (Wilton).

Will I need 2 or 3 batches of my recipe?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 7

I would make 3-4 batches.

I err on the side of too much though. Probably three will be enough.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 7

According to the following chart
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm
3 9" round cakes would be 16 cups of batter. 1 12" heart takes 8 cups of batter, so one recipe would make 2 of those. I don't know how much batter a half-ball takes, but a double batch should be more than enough for what you need.

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyBecca

According to the following chart
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm
3 9" round cakes would be 16 cups of batter. 1 12" heart takes 8 cups of batter, so one recipe would make 2 of those. I don't know how much batter a half-ball takes, but a double batch should be more than enough for what you need.

Your math is correct. But that recipe is not gonna turn out a 6 inch tall cake or yield 16 cups of batter. That recipe will probably yield from 6 to 8 cups of batter. They are just saying in the recipe to split it between three pans. kwim

A 3-layer nine inch cake recipe is not gonna yield enough batter to produce a 2-layer twelve inch heart cake.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 7

my red velvet recipe make two 9 inch cakes, normal size layers. When I split it into three they are thinner layers. I agree with k8memphis. I would make a bouble batch or your recipe and just have the layers slightly smaller than 2" or make a tripple batch. You can make 2 /12 batches but I am thinking that the tripple batch will give you enough batter to make a 6" cake or some cupcakes to give away as gifts or for your family. You can also freeze the cake for brides to taste. And of course, there is always cake balls!

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, gotcha. When she said 3 9" cakes, I thought she meant 3 2" layers. Sorry icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%