How To Start

Business By kimster Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm by indydebi

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 6

I've made several novelty type cakes and am wondering how to spread the word and start making money doing this... any personal stories would be appreciated.

I know its time to stop doing this for free and start making money, just don't know how to go about it.

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 10:26am
post #2 of 6

First place is to call your city gov., and see if you can have a business in your home. Then on to the county HD, and then state Dept. of AG.


eaj43081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eaj43081 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 6

I'm in the process of starting my own busniess as well. I started with the local small business develoment center and they can help you or lead you to were you need to go. The best part is their free.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, please make sure to check with your state and city laws. Some states won't allow home bakeries. Some do, but you have to be licensed for that and inspected. Either way, it's illegal to sell from home without the proper licensing. I'm going through getting all of that myself right now. It's much more of a process than I ever thought it would be.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6

Under the forum tab, there is a business section which has tons of valuable information and web links. You would first need to determine if your state allows to bake from the home and move on from there.
Good Luck!!
~ Jaime

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

Indiana does not permit in-home baking businesses. When I first went to get info to start the licensing process, first thing out of her mouth was "you can't make and sell them out of your home."

Each county may be different (might allow garage conversion; might allow separate building on your property, etc), so check. Zoning is another area you want to check with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%