Extra Purchase For Cake Order What To Do?

Business By cakesbydina Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 1:55am by kakeladi

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 21

How do you handle an order when someone wants a character cake with a pan that you don't have? Do you tack the price of the pan on the order or do you eat the cost and charge them a normal fee?

20 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:39am
post #2 of 21

You eat the cost. You're buying equipment for your business. You don't charge brides for buying round pans ... you just add them to your inventory. If you don't want to end up with a bunch of pans you'll never use again, you'll need to decide which cakes you're going to say "no" to because you don't have the proper equipment to make that cake. As a client, if you charged me for the purchase of the pan, I'd expect you to give me the pan.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 21

Do you mean like Micky Mouse or Whinny the Pooh? If so you can not legally sale cakes using those pans (or with any other home made decorations on it).

Those pans are labeled for home use only.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 21

Well, I personally add a little extra on to cover the pan fee, usually $5-7 extra. I do usually end up eating most of the cost though, but I figure eventually someone else will use that pan as well! I might be doing this wrong compared to some, but this is the solution I have found for this! HTH!

indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Do you mean like Micky Mouse or Whinny the Pooh? If so you can not legally sale cakes using those pans (or with any other home made decorations on it).

Wow, I totally spaced over that aspect! You are SO right!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

How do you handle an order when someone wants a character cake with a pan that you don't have? Do you tack the price of the pan on the order or do you eat the cost and charge them a normal fee?

I won't do character pan cakes. Mostly because I HATE them. They are very hard IMO. I try to talk people into an 11X15. It serves more people and I don't have to buy a pan just for the cake. I don't have that kind of storage space anyway.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:46am
post #7 of 21
Quote:

Ditto to this question..

I'm sure you will get plenty of responses saying that us copyright "nazis" are over-reacting, but technically you can't sell any licensed character that you have reproduced, and a character pan would fall under that umbrella.

Now if it's the standing duckie pan or the lamb.. then no biggie.. but any of the licensed characters (and the pan insert or label will tell you) you can't use them for sale.. they are marketed for home use only.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:57am
post #8 of 21

Don't buy the pan, I doubt you'll ever use it again. Maybe you can offer them a FBCT or fondant characters or something else that fits the theme. Those cakes are more special, anyway.

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:18am
post #9 of 21

Up here we have a chain of stores called Bulk Barn that will rent character pans for about $1.45 a day. I've heard some bakeries or cake supply places will do the same. I would look into it if you are in a major city.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:45am
post #10 of 21

I HATE CHARACTER PANS!!! I wont do them. I always tell people that I would rather teach them to do it themselves. Like many of us, I have carpal tunnel and those 2 million stars are a pain...figurativly and literally.

But as for your question, you should eat the cost.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 21

Unless it was a pan I really wanted I would offer to come up with an alternative like a chocolate transfer on a sheet cake. Most of the shaped pans aren't something you're going to use very often.

Now if it's something like the 3D train or duck you might want to get it if you are willing to do shaped pans because those themes will never go out of style and can be used over and over.

If it was Winnie the Pooh or something I would NOT be willing to make a cake for someone else with it because of copyright issues.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 21

Copyright doesn't just apply to Wilton, FBCT and such of copyrighted characters is also infringement.

However, I'm not that uptight about copyright law. The day the cake police show up at my door, I'll just eat the evidence. Heh.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Wow, I totally spaced over that aspect! You are SO right!!

Yeah! You and me both! I didn't even notice the "character" part. There are big copyright laws on them, sooooo.....

I don't use character pans anyways....my personal opinion is that they are little impersonal. See if maybe you can offer them something else???? Good luck!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 21

I would also prefer to offer a FBCT or mold fondant characters, I think it isa much nicer effect and you aren't getting stuck with a pan you might not use ever again. If you are going to offer the pan though, I would say you need to eat the cost or, if you are a home baker I think you can say that you don't offer specific character pans because that type of equipment is too taste specific to be a good investment for your business but that if she would like to loan you her pan, you are happy to make the cake for $xx (your regular decorated per serving price). Do be careful of the copyright laws, but I would be willing to bet that if don't own a shop and you arent' advertising that you offer this or posting the pics on your website you might be okay there (just a guess though).

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 21

wow. I am glad I asked. I never thought of the character pan being a waste and the copyright laws as a factor. Would this mean doing any form of character on a sheet cake as well or just the full shape pan being an issue?

indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 21

I recently was having this conversation with a fellow baker who has been in this biz for decades and has more credentials after her name than I can ever dream of having. It was an issue about an event planner wanting a carved cake of a copyrighted character. This baker told me to tell the event planner it was a $16,000 fine. I don't know where this number comes from, but this woman has extremely high credibility with me and I don't question anything she tells me.

I'm not willing to chance a $16,000 fine for anybody.

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 21

It has always been my understanding that copyright issues are with non edible things that will be around, not edible items. I deal alot with copyright because of where I am located and have been told as long as it's edible your fine.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshoshie

It has always been my understanding that copyright issues are with non edible things that will be around, not edible items. I deal alot with copyright because of where I am located and have been told as long as it's edible your fine.

Sorry, that's not correct. The only way to get around the copyright issue is to purchase the kits that are made for cakes (like Decopac) or purchase toys of those characters and put them on top of the cake.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #19 of 21

Polekitten-Please call when the cake police show up-I will bring my fork!

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #20 of 21

Isn't it also illegal to make chocolate transfers and make fondant characters for a cake? That's what I was told!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:55am
post #21 of 21

I wish I knew the link to it but some yrs back there was an article published *in a mag I believe* (there was a link on the internet to it) where this guy wanted to order a cake for his kid and all the problems w/copyrights he went thru.
Basically, if someone were to hold up a cake (actually **any item!** in a courtroom and anyone identifies it as "Micky" or "Garfield" or who/whatever you lose.
And Debi.......I have heard figures of up to $20,000 & $30,000 for the 1st offence..... I did read of a decorator who had a couple of shops who got fined but can't remember what the fine was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%