Gift Cards For Coworkers -Limited Budget

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm by CakesByJen2

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 14

I just found out today my company is closing and being outsourced out of the country. I assumed I would be living in Irvine for 3 years. Well, my big boss just emailed me today the company is giving me severence pay, vacation, and health benefits for 3 months. Thank goodness I just took a leave of absence from my job back in NY.

It looks like I will be heading back to NY. I also found out my husband will be layed off as of December 31, 2008. I guess it that means it was not meant for us tobe living in Orange county.

Well, I want to give my 10 coworkers a gift. I am on a limited budget -have three triplets. would it be tacky to give all of my coworkes a $5.00 gift card from starbucks and write a note on a christmas card wishing them the best. Do you have any other ideas to what to give to 10 coworkers? I can't give homemade goods -it has to be storebought-somone here a food poisoning from a potluck a couple of months ago-HRS changed to policy that only store bought foods are allowed here

Any input will help.

13 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 14

I personally LOVE a $5 gift card from Starbucks!! I see absolutely nothing wrong with that! There are actually several businesses surrounding my shop whose employees by $5 gift cards from me for their coworkers. They always seem to love them!

Good luck with your move and job situation!

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 14

I think Starbucks gift card would be a very thoughtful expression. I'm giving a Gift in a Mug to my friends..buy a mug at Dollar Tree..Make the dry ingredient recipe and icing recipes for Cake in a Mug. Place each in separate plastic sealed lunch bags inside the cup with the recipe of what ingredients to add and how to cook attached to the bow. You've now got a gift in a mug...for at most $2

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 14

I'd love Starbuck's gift card. If my co-workers gave me that I'd be tickled to death.

quilting2011 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks you for your kinds works. I was just kinda depressed to hear the news about my layoff. I should be glad I am in good health.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 14

I've given and gotten these as gifts and love them! I don't drink coffee anymore but tea. Give them if you can and good luck with your move back east

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 14

So sorry to hear about your job!

I personally think you don't need to give your coworkers anything other than a nice Christmas card with a personal note in each one thanking them for their friendship and wishing them well in the upcoming New year.

But, $5.00 gift cards to Starbucks is a great idea. People shouldn't look at the monetary value of the GC as it should be looked at the thoughtfullness in the gester. And the good think with Starbucks, is you can actually buy something there for $5.

Good luck!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #8 of 14

I'm so sorry to hear about your jobs! I think the Starbucks giftcard is a great idea. I know I'd love to receive one.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #9 of 14

I think your co-workers will appreciate the kind gesture, esp. in light of the fact that you and you huuby were just laid off and need every penny you have. Best of luck to you and your family. Happy Holidays!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #10 of 14

I think the $5 gc is a good idea - but that's still $50 for 10 people. Not to be mean or anything, in my opinion if you want to make some homemade goodies to give your friends as a gift how can the HR dept of a company that is going out of business have too much to say about it!

Wrap your goodies in a little gift type bag or tissue paper and discreetly leave it for the folks to take home right before the end of a workday. If the one co-worker that got food poisoning is a little skittish about eating homemade food - give that person the $5 gc so not to offend him/her.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:54am
post #11 of 14

I think it's a good idea but can also be pricey. Personally I love receiving cards with a sincere message written on it. Last Christmas, one casual friend gave out cards that she had made herself simply by gluing a photo of us together on to a folded piece of card stock. Inside she wrote a short note about how much she appreciated our friendship and included an anecdote of a couple of the really fun stuff we did last year. I treasure that card more than any other, even more than the "stocking stuffers" I received from other friends. I took the photo and framed it. Does this soud like something you could do?

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:44am
post #12 of 14

Hi bundtdiva,

Im so sorry that you have to go through this dark time, but thankfully you have a job waiting for you in NY. Good luck with the move.

I personally would LOVE a gift card to Starbucks, but as others have commented, it would be a bit pricy. I agree with KathyTW -- what could HR really say if you wanted to make some cupcakes, cookies, or even a cake to share with your co-workers. If you dont like the idea of putting the treat on their desk, maybe you all could go on break together to drink some coffee/tea and eat something that goes well with the drink. You could spend this time talking about how much you will miss them, getting phone numbers and address, etc...

Tammy

quilting2011 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for you kind comments and ideas. I decided to go ahead and give each of my 10 coworkers GC from Starbucks or Jamba Juice (some of some like jamb juice) and write a nice note.

With my neighbors here in Irvine I decided to have an open house and serve hot apple cider, coffee, and tea bake cakes and cookies.

Best wishes to all cc members. You have been the best and I learned so much from you. As some of you know I am hearing impaired (deaf). I am so grateful to learn from everyone here.

Bye and wish you the best.

Happy Holidays

signing off from cc

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 14

I think $5 Starbucks cards are great! I give them to my kids teachers and use them for stocking stuffers. Starbucks is one place where you can spend just $5 and still feel like you've had an indulgence. For $5 you can get one of the big, fancy smancy drinks, or a small, regular coffee and a dessert. For those who don't drink coffee, they have tea, hot chocolate, and other non-coffee drinks, along with the goodies. I would love to get one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%