Anyone Know About Cake Tasting Events?

Decorating By gr8cakemaker Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm by DaCakeDiva

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all! So I have heard a few things here or there about cake tasting events and I am really interested in hosting one. I have heard that you post flyers, word of mouth etc. to get the word out. People purchase "tickets" 10-15$ per ticket for all the cake and flavors they would like. I have even heard of people renting out a conference room in a hotel for adequate space. Everyone is invited, not just brides but all cake lovers. The host bakes multiple sheet cakes in a variety of flavors and fillings to cut and serve. They also put out dummy cakes, business cards and a portfolio for their guests to view. The guests gets to speak with the baker and try different cake flavors all in the hopes that they will book for a birthday, wedding, anniversary etc. Does this sound about right? If anyone knows about these types of things please inform me of how they go as I only heard a few things here or there. I have heard that bakers can make 1000$+ by hosting these events. Any help would be greatly appreciated. OH I am a home baker so I would have to rent/find a space to host an event. THANKS IN ADVANCE! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds just like a bridal show. I don't see where one could make $1,000s but it might be worth trying once.
One word of caution....are you a licensed business? Something like this could bring out all kinds of trouble if not.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 6

"make $1000's" in bookings? Or make 1000's the day of the show?

If you're looking long term down the road, then adding up the bookings to "make 1000's" sounds not too unreasonable.

But if you've heard they make 1000's at the door, you need to do the math. At $10/ticket, you'd have to sell 300 tickets to have $3000 in ticket sales. Deduct the cost of the room rental, table/chair rental, table linen rental. If people will be eating 3, 4 or 7 pieces of cake, you'd have to make cake for 300 people x (let's say) 5 servings each = cake for 1500 people. For a home baker, that's a LOT of oven time! Add in also the cost of brochures, biz cards, other sales tools.

And I've never been a big fan of "flyer" advertising, unless it's an insert in a legitimate advertising vehicle, which can be costly. I don't attend events advertised on my windshield, on telephone poles, or on laundrymat bulletin boards, so if you do a flyer, then you need to pay for a legit service to distribute them to the demographics you're hoping will attend.

I'm not seeing "$1000's" at the door. Unless you're selling booth space to other vendors ... and then, as mentioned above, it's now a bridal show that you are producing.

If you're selling tickets to 300 people, think about how you are going to manage each person "talking to the baker" and booking an event. If you hold a 4 hour event, that's 240 minutes to talk to 300 people...... about 45 seconds per person.

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, Kakeladi I am licensed and legal etc. I was trying to do some research on cake tasting events, but only came up with one forum that I read. This lady rented out her local rec center which is fairly inexpensive and also comes with chairs and tables etc. (well at least my rec center does). She also said she sent out invitations and posted a PR in the local paper, which is free as well. She had friends and family help to serve the cake, which allowed her time to speak to those who wanted to speak with her or ask a few questions. Which Im sure was not every person in the room. I am pretty sure she did not make 1,000s the day of the show, but in bookings. I already have a portfolio, dummy cakes and business cards.

I was just looking for some avenues to get my name out there and build up some business and was wondering if my fellow CC'ers had heard or done this kind of thing. I cannot get a hold of the lady who posted in that forum otherwise I would just ask her.

If anyone could be of further help, that'd be awesome! Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 6

Well under those circumstances I guess it's worth a try.
I have heard of some people having an open house for the holidays - early like in early Nov so they get Christmas etc orders. As I remember (which isn't well) it was very successful for one gal. Many of said we would do the same the next holiday but of course forgot.
If you have a good mailing list it might be worth it. Picking a good date is somewhat of a problem as Bridal Shows are planned mostly for Jan (Super Bowl Sunday is a popular one as if the 1st wknd in Jan)

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 6

Ihope it all works out. let us know what happens. I need some inspiration to get over my fear of success/failure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%