Saw This In The Gallery...how Do I Do This??

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 4:23am by Frankyola

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 15

I have seen all these cool cupcake "cakes" in the gallery and they are just so CUTE. I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it? How do you get the icing on the cupcakes without turning them all over while you work? Make sense??

Take this picture, from the gallery, for instance...it's AWESOME!
LL

14 replies
keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 15

I've heard from some that they put a dot of icing on the bottom of the cupcake before putting it on the cake board. I also think I've read that they use the big icer tip to get down the base coat of icing. I'm wanting to try one, but haven't yet. icon_smile.gif Good luck, that's cute.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 15

That's a really cute cake! I have no idea how to do it either icon_sad.gif but I'd love to make that one for my son's class....

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 15

Hi,
figure out how many you need then place empty cupcake liners on the board in the amount that you need and see if you can get the triangle shape of the tree and the stump of the tree. If you need to add a few more then do.
Then bake the amount you figured out. after they are cool place a dot of icing on the bottom of each cupcake and place in their spot. Sometimes it is easier to leave the empty cupcake liners in their place and use others to bake in. Replace each empty one with a baked cupcake.
If you have the icer tip, fill it with the green color and ice then all of the cupcake like they are one big cake. Then smooth just like you would a regular cake, except I would always try to go towards the center of the shape as to not pull them apart. Then ice the brown part. Add any border you want. That's it.

If you dont have the icer tip then just use a large round tip and then smooth.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 15

Here's a good tutorial for cupcake cakes that someone on CC posted for me when I had the same question...

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1192813746051689275ZzeIFp

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 15

I heard something about smushing the cupcakes as close together as you can so that there is very little space in between, then ice. Probaby works best with a fluffy but stiff icing, like the kind they use at supermarkets, you know, shorting based.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 15

The best tip I've ever read on here in regard to cupcakes was from someone who made their own cupcake carriers by cutting clear Soho type plastic cups down to size and then hot gluing them on to their cake board. You could do that to form the shape and it will hold the cakes sturdy during decorating and delivery.

I'm sorry I can't remember who posted the tip, but to whomever you are, you're brilliant.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 15

We make things like this at work. You spread a thin layer of frosting on the cake board and then arrange your cupcakes. I use the icing tip to spread the frosting. so far i have never had any problems frosting them . hope this helps.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 15

We also only use the Rich's non dairy frosting to frost them, we never use buttercream.

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 15

My friend has a professional bakery in Cleveland who does these daily. If you really want to be professional and not have the cupcakes slide around while decorating icing is not usually the best way to go. The cupcakes slides when you transport or try to decorate the tops with icing. If you want to go to the higher level, she puts doubled sided tape on the bottom of the cup cakes liner, puts them in place, then decorates. They are easily pulled away when it is time to eat but don't slide around when decorating.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #12 of 15
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #13 of 15

I can't help you with a cupcake cake but if you look in my pix, I did a poinsettia tree cake a while back which I recently posted. That might give you some ideas.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #14 of 15

All you have to do is "glue" the cupcakes down to your board with icing first, then it makes it much easier! I haven't made one in a while, but that's how Publix does it (I used to work there). Good Luck!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #15 of 15

Hi ivspaisley! I have a really good tutorial for the cupcakes cake if you want it send me your e-mail and I send it to you, I can't post it because it is a word doc. and the system doesn't let me post it.

Frankyia

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%