Hubby Gave Me A Cake Girls Birthday Cake!

Decorating By SweetDolly Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 12:27am by -K8memphis

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 17

I was so surprised; he never told me he was doing it! I have been a huge fan of The Cake Girls for a long time, and am even more impressed with them now that I've seen firsthand how well-constructed and utterly delicious their cakes are. I learned so much from slicing and eating this cake - felt like I took a class!

I'm pretty sure posting the pic on CC violates rules, so here is a link, if you're interested in checking it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22187415@N08/3107606784/

Thanks for letting me express my excitement! I've had a bad case of cake-block and haven't done one in two months; this was just what I needed to get my cake mojo back!

16 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 17

Wow! What a great gift! What flavor was it? We want details!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 17

that is so stinkin cute!!!! it's great that they are so talented AND it tastes great also...sad, but that seems to be a combo that is rare nowadays!

btw: is your name angel or angie?

SweetDolly Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 17

My name is Angela; family calls me Angie and hubby calls me Ange...LOL

It was vanilla butter cake with white chocolate ganache. The ganache was to DIE for; a little salty, which balanced the sweetness out very well. The cake was covered in white chocolate Choco-Pan (or similar); super tasty and suited the cake well. The buttercream was meringue - did not crust.

What was most impressive to me was the construction. The bottom layer was a dummy, which was hot-glued to the cake board. The cake was sitting on a layer of cardboard, which was hot-glued to the dummy. The interior was 3 layers of cake, each one torted and either filled with ganache or a about a 1/4 inch thick layer of Choco-Pan (I'm guessing to add to the stability). It was ROCK solid. I will definitely be adding some of these elements to my repetoire! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The piping bag was so cute (even had a seam!); it was all cake, covered in fondant.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 17

what a cute cake!! And what a great hubby!!!!!!!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 17

What an adorable cake! It looks good too! How exciting... and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

and mixinvixen, I think the cake is supposed to say Ange, short for Angie icon_smile.gif It just looks like Angel because the icing is still coming out of the "pastry bag" Soooo cute!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 17

Geez ange! You can't just leave us hanging here! How was the icing, what flavor was it, what kind/flavor was the filling.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 17

How big was it?

SweetDolly Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Geez ange! You can't just leave us hanging here! How was the icing, what flavor was it, what kind/flavor was the filling.

I know; so sorry! Details above! It is delish - we'll be eating it for weeks because the cake was HUGE...another thing I now love about them; very generous servings. They told DH the cake would feed 25 - it would easily feed 40-45 by Wilton standards.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 17

Wow Angie! Sooo jealous here! Thank you for the details, the cake looks amazing. Interesting construction too. I have watched them for a long time....and always knew they would be famous one day icon_wink.gif
Happy Belated B-day!

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 17

congratulations!!!!! on your cake.

The cake girls do amazing work.

SweetDolly Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

How big was it?

It's was on a 14x19 cake drum - I'm guessing 12 inches wide by 14 in length? At least 6 inches tall, but about 2 of that was the dummy.

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 17

Adorable and sounds fantastic....

Not a question thats asked about gifts, but since its your Hubby... do you know what he paid.. Just thinking about buying one for research purposes!!!! and yummy purposes.... Im always buying cupcakes from cupcake shops but never thought to get a cake...

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 17

The cake is so cute and I love, love, love the piping bag! Angela, you have a very sweet husband!

SweetDolly Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbeatty8

Adorable and sounds fantastic....

Not a question thats asked about gifts, but since its your Hubby... do you know what he paid.. Just thinking about buying one for research purposes!!!! and yummy purposes.... Im always buying cupcakes from cupcake shops but never thought to get a cake...

I didn't ask...but more because I don't want to feel guilty about the experience! icon_lol.gif I know The Cake Girls website says their specialty cakes start at at $175 minimum; I'm hoping he didn't go much over that...

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:36pm
post #16 of 17

Cake is so cute. Happy Belated Birthday

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:27am
post #17 of 17

What a tremendously thoughtful gift and from a guy no less and a husband to boot?!!! Way way way too cool on so many levels. Bravo, Hubby!!

I love the Cake Girls. I used to live and bake very near them just a brief warp in the time continuum away only 30+ years ago.

I am so glad to hear the cake tasted wonderful.

Now what's this about chocopan being between the layers???
I never ever thought or heard of that for stability--oooh what a wonderful thing to share w/us all. Was it dried some or flexy, can you elaborate a little? Wait, three layers of cake each one torted to make like six layers? Lucy Lucy 'splain this to me. Gotta picture of the inside????

Give hubby a big high five from me. He's the bomb!!!

And A Very Merry and Happy Birthday To You.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%