How Would You Feel About This...............

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 1:15am by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 10

I was asked to make a six layer (thin layers) cake with old fashioned (boiled chocolate) icing for a coworker of my moms. ANyway I accepted the offer and gave her the price and worked out all the details. Anyway, the cake was to be delivered today. She gave my mom the check and HER cake plate that she wanted me to put the cake on. I usually place my cakes in boxes with my label on the outside(for advertising). I know she could have taken the cake and put it on the plate herself but I feel like that she is going to try and take all the credit for the cake. She ordered it for a family christmas party tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this happen or felt the same way???? Just wondering!

9 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 10

She may take the credit or she may just want her cake on a pretty platter...and either is always okay with me! I actually have several customers who bring me serving dishes/plates/platters and I am happy to use them. As long as they pay me, then I do not typically care if I get the credit or not. Even if you delivered it in your box with your label, when it comes time to serve it, the box would probably be out of sight anyway!

On a side note, I remember watching the Martha Stewart movie and one of her first catering businesses did this very thing. They hostes would provide all of her own serving dishes and Martha and her partner would do all of the food and use the dishes so that it looked like no caterer was involved at all! I thought it was a great idea and have never had a problem with knowing that some of my customers probably claim my creations as their own.

There is a pretty good chance that if anyone asks she will tell them where it was purchased and simply wanted it on a nice plate without having to do it herself thumbs_up.gif !

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 10

I agree, she is planning to take total credit for your wonderful cake!
It wouldn't bother me for 2 reasons:
Someone will eventually let the cat out of the bag and give you credit or
someone will ask her to bring that wonderful cake to *every* family get together and then you will have a customer for life!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 10

Put the cake on her plate that you have put your card on. Cover the card w/plastic wrap and put the cake right on top of it.
Don't worry.......this type of thing happens often.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 10

I agree with the pp. Even if it was in your box, she could change it at home and take claim for it. So what. You know you made and so does she.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #6 of 10

I'd put it in the box, and give it to them and ignore the plate. It's not good to transport a cake on a pretty plate anyway, it might break. THen I'd give it to them. You can't really dictate where the credit goes, they can take off your stickers, throw away the box....

As long as you got your money, there isn't much you can do.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:58am
post #7 of 10

As annoying as that may be, there's probably not much you can do about it (short of arriving at the party and announcing that you made the cake - probably not a recommended form of advertising - though tempting, isn't it?). If she does take credit for the cake, her family will start asking her to make all sorts of cakes for them, at which point the jig will be up. icon_wink.gif

tannersmom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the replies. I could understand the pretty cake plate theory, but it was a $5.00 plastic snap on lib cake plate from walmart. LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:11am
post #9 of 10

She could have just been thinking it would be easier for her to transport in a snap-on-lid-carrier instead of a plain 'ole cake box.

tannersmom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:15am
post #10 of 10

I agree Indydebi. But I hate the thought that someone else will probably take credit for that delicious chocolate cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%