How To Get Fondant Balls To Stay On Wires!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 12:31am by dmich

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone!! How do you get the fondant balls to stick to the floral wire? Everytime I do it, they slide right down the wire. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 7

put the balls on the wire and le sit out all night. this lets the fondant dry so it can hold its self up

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 7

That is what I have been trying to do, but it is not working icon_sad.gif. Lastnight I made the balls, lightly slid them ont the wire and let them sit out all night long. When I saw them this morning they slid right down the wire...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7

When fondant dries sometimes it shrinks a little, which could be what is causing the problem. How about using some piping gel to glue them on?

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:16am
post #5 of 7

When I've done it, I curl the end of the wire into a tiny O so they don't twirl or slide.

I've also seen the suggestion to heat the end of the wire over your stove burner for a second or two and then put the fondant ball on it. The theory is the fondant touching the wire will melt for a minute and then cool onto the wire. Sounds like it would work, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 7

Use thicker wire, make a little curl at the end with a needle nose or jewelry pliers, then mix a little gumpaste with your fondant to make it more firm and dry faster. This should help. I would think that piping gel mike make it slide more... sort of lubricate it, you know? Or is that crazy talk. I might be wrong!! icon_rolleyes.gif It's happened before! Haha!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 7

I had the same problem with gumpaste flowers on wires. So, I used an empty egg carton, poked a small hole in the bottom of each "holder", nestled the flower on the wire into the holder, with the wire sticking through the hole, and rested it on the edge of a table (so the wires could hang down). I weighted the lid of the carton with something heavy so the whole thing wouldn't fall off the table. This allowed the flowers to dry on the wires, without putting pressure on the wires. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%