Help! My Fondant Is Always Too Dry!

Decorating By confectionforfun Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm by JenniferMI

confectionforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionforfun Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:30am
post #1 of 7

I just started cake decorating a few months ago after a few Wilton classes. We barely touched on fondant. The very first batch I made for class was perfect. But, since then, even though I am following the same recipe and follow it TO A TEE, my MMF comes out dry and cracks very easily. Instead of stretching over the edges and corners of my cakes, it just breaks and tears. I made a batch yesterday and didn't even put an entire pound of powdered sugar in it, and it STILL has the same problem. I am so frustrated. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:12am
post #2 of 7

That happen to me when I start using fondant, then I start using Ronda's MMF and it is really good and work good for me, but then I start using Michele's Foster Fondant and I Loooove it, it is so delicious and easy to work with, try it and you'll love it.

I hope this help thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7

You may try kneading it with Crisco on your hands.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 7

Try Michele Foster's Fondant. It's here in the recipes section. Much better than mmf, much less messy, doesn't cost much more to make, is easy, and tastes tons better than mmf. It's super easy to work with.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 7

i just started making my own fondant too and i find it to be too dry. but i just keep kneading and adding crisco until it gets that nice smooth stretchy not cracking finish. it usually takes me at least an hour to knead in the crisco in. what am i doing wrong? i never add all the powder sugar and i use lawanda's white chocolate fondant recipe. (very tasty) once i knead in the crisco it covers very well for me with no cracks and is very smooth.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

The shortening will help, but I don't like adding too much to my mmf because it may end up to stretchy and drooping (not sure thats a real word LOL). But in any case alot of things will effect your fondant including humidity and temperature. So I usually add a little less PS than I think I will need, just until its firm and doesn't stick to everything. I end up adding more as I knead and roll it out. If it is really cold that could also cause it to crack, you can put it in the mircowave for just a couple of seconds. Either way kneading until your arms hurt will also help. Hope this helps a little.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 7

I'm a chocolate fondant gall all the way!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

NO elephant skin EVER!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%