Please Help! Requirements For Home Business In Il

Business By mycake08 Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 5:10am by mom2owen1

mycake08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mycake08 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:54am
post #1 of 6

I am trying to find information on a home bakery business in IL. I have already searched various IL websites but either I am not understand the language or it isn't listed that you should or shouldn't have a home buisness. icon_cry.gif Can someone let me know the steps I need to take, as far as licensing, certifications, etc.

Thank you so much

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:08am
post #2 of 6

Start at your local city government. You check with your city to see if they even allow you to have a biz in your home. Then it's on to the county HD, and state Dept. of AG.

Mike

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

Former IL resident here, now wintering in Texas. I lived right outside Springfield and was in Sangamon County. It is basically determined by the county you live in. Sangamon was tough...kitchen inspections, no pets in the home, food testing, lots of paperwork. Moved to Christian county...no restrictions except sales tax and filing for DBA. That may have changed however it was over ten years ago.

Check with the county first...State on required a Tax ID and sales tax collection. HTH.

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 6

I live in IL and I know in my county, you can not have a licensed home business. I called the county health department. They were very helpful but gave me the bad news...no licensed home bakeries. Good luck, maybe your county will be different.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 6

I'm in IL as well. As far as I know no home bakeries in my county either, unless its a completely separate kitchen. Like in the basement, or garage...No where your kids or pets could go.

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:10am
post #6 of 6

The only way to have a bakery in your home in IL is if you have 2 kitchens. you can get licensed, depending on your town/township/city/etc zoning laws, if you have a kitchen that you don't cook for your family in.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/rulesregs/rules-indexbytopic.htm#RETAIL%20FOOD

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%