Thinned Dough Method For Cookies

Baking By twinsmake5 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm by twinsmake5

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 15

Has anyone tried Autumn Carpenter's thinned dough method for cookies? It makes them look old fashioned. It's great for those who do not care for the icing or those who are watching the calories. Tried to post a picture, but Kathy says it's not a decorated cookie. Posting the picture here if I can.

The picture is under the filename below.
LL

14 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:02am
post #2 of 15

Very pretty and yes, it does make them look old fashioned. Who is Kathy? Clearly the dough was piped on -- I'd say they're decorated.

I've always wanted to try this method. I've seen it done with colored dough, but that's a very pretty effect.

twinsmake5 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 15

Maybe that's the answer! I like it but it needs a little jazzing up. I haven't colored dough but I'm going to give that a try - next year! Kathy sent me a private message from CC Central telling me I can only upload decorated cookies to "my pictures" using the Cookie Gallery. My dough was a bit too runny to pipe on the name, but I love the snowflake. Just tried this quickly one day last week with some left over dough.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 15

what do you add to the dought to thin it out?

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 15

These are so cool! I love how they give the look of a molded cookie, but you don't need a mold! Maybe Kathy thought they were molded, undecorated cookies... ? Because I would consider them decorated with piped on dough... but I guess its just a matter of opinion. Thanks for sharing these!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi1613

what do you add to the dought to thin it out?

Water and food color if you want.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 15

I love these! I'd like to make them for my mother who prefers my cookies naked. So, please tell me at what point do you water it down? (Sorry to be a pain)

-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 15

When you want to pipe on the decoration so you can bake the cookies. Test a little -- you want to keep the piping thin because it can spread. I just get it piping consistency. You can use milk too.

So cut out your cookies and pipe on the detail and bake. Viola.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:49am
post #9 of 15

Impressive!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:07am
post #10 of 15

I really like this idea, can't wait to try it out!

Daytona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daytona Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #11 of 15

I also liked the old fashion look I have my grandmothers sugar cookie recipe and love the rich butter taste and don't want colored sugar or royal icing taking away from the taste but with the thinned dough method it will decorate the cookie up more.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 15

I assume she thought that (as the decor was the same color) they were a cookie with an incised design, not something piped on.
I have done this with white-colored thinned dough to make laces in footballs. It works very well. Nice to just bake them and be finished.

t00precious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t00precious Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 15

I have a cookie book that showed how to use a chocolate candy mold to do this same thing. You spray the mold and press the cookie dough in the mold, refrigertae, and bake. This is how I think they got the effect on the cookie.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:46am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00precious

I have a cookie book that showed how to use a chocolate candy mold to do this same thing. You spray the mold and press the cookie dough in the mold, refrigertae, and bake. This is how I think they got the effect on the cookie.

True that is one way to get that look but a mold would produce perfect angles.

Those cookies were piped because the lines have that personal touch.

twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 15

k8memphis - thanks for taking over for me! It was a busy Christmas season and I haven't had time to check in on the post! You knew exactly what I did and all your answers were terrific. They were very easy to do. Take care, becky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%