Aldi Supermarket In The Usa

Decorating By norma20 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:34pm by norma20

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 66

I'm in Orlando FL and a friend of mine told me about a new supermarket store near our house.
It's Aldi, a Germany chain who's opening many branches here in the USA. They have unbeatable prices and excellent quality. icon_smile.gif

Gallon milk.............$ 2.79
Cream Cheese........$ 0.99 (delicious)
Large eggs..............$ 1.19
Sweetened condensed milk.........$ 0.99
Salmon...................$ 3.49 lb (frozen and very good)
Sugar 5lb................$ 1.90
Crushed pineapple...$ 0.89

65 replies
CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 66

We also have a few of them in the UK and they are good value for money in these hard times.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 66

We also have a few of them in the UK and they are good value for money in these hard times.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 66

we just had one open near me too, but i've never been. i should definitely check it out! i know you have to bring your own bags and pay 25 cents to get a shopping cart (that you get back if you return the cart to the corral).

sounds like their prices are worth the trip! we also have a store called price rite that has pretty good prices.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 66

They are all over the midwest. My daughter hates them because she says they sell "green bean butts" (she has found stems attached to the canned green beans ... she HATES that!), but the pricing is really good. Most items are off-brands, but you can find name-brand stuff in there, too.

I have a caterer friend who buys a lot of her supplies there!

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 66

Ok,

we go to aldi's all the time... the bag cheese, and the brick cheesse is really good. the diary is awesome, the confectioners sugar is really good. the brownie mixes are good too. some of the things there are really good, they have good prices on walnuts, and if you dont mind generic brands, the semi and milk chocolate chips are good.

IMHO of course... but i wind up baking alot more when i go there. Last time i was there they had Ghiaredelli double chocolate brownie mixes for a buck a peice... you can find stuff like that there also. their cereal is good, depending on what you get.

Enjoy.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 66

The canned greenbeans have not been good.

However, to add to what others have said, I've found great prices on nuts of all kinds and tortilla chips and corn chips...and they taste great! My husband likes some of their cookies. Their chocolate bars are too good to buy. icon_smile.gif Canned fruit is a good price, as are their canned tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Good prices on kidney beans. And I think they have good price on their black olives.

Pineapples tend to be a good price. All summer, they had the lowest price on blueberries. Potatoes are good. Mushrooms have been good.

Lots of good prices! They've saved me a bunch of money and kept me buying some items that were getting out of my reach. I've heard some people say they don't like going there because it makes them feel poor. I have to say it makes me feel SMART to go there. icon_smile.gif Saving $20 over Walmart is a great thing.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 66

I just went to Aldi's the other day, actually, and stocked up on some baking items. I know I paid $1.19 for confectioners sugar, and I think $1.89 a lb for butter. Sugar was under $2/5lb, and the chocolate chips were really cheap. I actually used the choc chips to dip cake balls, and they worked great (I was a little skeptical at how they would be!!!)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 66

LUV LUV LUV Aldi's

Great Prices on lots of stuff I buy (crackers, cheese, veggies, fruit, staples) Store brands are very good -- often better than name -- like their hot cocoa and cappuccino mixes.

Save SO much over even WalMart!

and I like the very compact, efficient layout. the dairy case is not "miles" away like it is in WalMart, etc.

let's just say this ---

I shop there SO much ---

the checkout ladies all know me on sight even when they run into me somewhere else!

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 66

Norma,

I live in Orlando also and was going to the Restaurant Depot that opened up on Princton but after a friend who lives in Tenn. told me about Aldi I was so excited when I saw them in Altamonte and Sanford.

I buy everything from them each week eggs, cream, milk, unsalted butter..

Love them.......... icon_biggrin.gif

michael

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 66

I LOVE Aldi. We buy nearly everything there. I do buy cake flour in bulk from a wholesaler, but most other baking needs comes from Aldi. All the cashiers know us.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 66

ziggytartheel wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard some people say they don't like going there because it makes them feel poor. I have to say it makes me feel SMART to go there. Saving $20 over Walmart is a great thing.

We have a family friend who is a (very wealthy) doctor and he says anyone around here who dosen't go to Aldi's is wasting their money! I personally go there for the fresh produce...you can't beat the prices!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #13 of 66

I shop Aldi's almost exclusively. The only time I go Giant Eagle (the regular supermarket) is if I can't find something in Aldi's, like reduced fat sour cream.

I also started getting meals from www.angelfoodministries.com.
I can't say enough good things about this program!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:11am
post #14 of 66

I miss Aldi. Had them in Michigan and boy can they make a penny stretch. But I have not found them in TX. Wish they would move here!

Stephanie

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:22am
post #15 of 66

I don't shop there because my preschooler has chronic urticaria and has to eat mostly natural or preservative free foods.

However....I never really thought about buying condensed milk or powdered sugar there...is the powdered sugar just as good as any other kind? I really should take a visit again and check out baking prices. hmmm

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:24am
post #16 of 66

Thanks for the info. I usually purchase my baking ingredients at Walmart because they are so much cheaper than the local grocery stores, I'd neer heard of Aldi. I just looked them up and there is one in NC somewhat near where I live, I'll check them out.

tperks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tperks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:26am
post #17 of 66

I have one right around the corner - it's great for a lot of your basics and kid snack foods. I also buy their 'fit and active' brand - it's a knock off of weight watchers - very similar in taste and points and saves you a lot of money. They also have marinated pork tenderloins for a really good price. Like another shopper said - I like to run in there because the milk is not a 2 mile walk.

FYI - they only take cash,debit or check - no credit cards.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:30am
post #18 of 66

Foodnetwork(I think) did a segment on Aldi. They actually sell most namebrand items under generic labels. They keep their prices low by not selling a large variety of items. It is quite a massive chain and worth looking into.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #19 of 66

Michaelanthony,

There is an Aldi at 12351 S.Orange Blossom Trail and a new one will open at Sand Lake Road, near Northern tool store and Old Pottery.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #20 of 66

I love ALDI !! I used to go there all the time when I lived in PA. Now they are here in Central Florida and I am so happy. Their produce is great; the chocolate bars are great for chocolate covered pretzels, strawberries, etc. You can't beat the prices, really. Eggs, milk, baking stuff, even their meats are good. If you have one near you and haven't tried shopping there, do so, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:00am
post #21 of 66

I just started shopping there after a neighbor told me she bought milk for $2 a gallon. I swore she must have been mistaken but sure enough it was true. I could hardly believe it. And their produce was much cheaper also.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #22 of 66

They are in Ohio, but they don't have a good reputation around here. I have never been.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

They are in Ohio, but they don't have a good reputation around here. I have never been.

That must just be in your area, because I'm in Ohio, and there are always lots of people there. They are very clean and their prices are awesome. Might just be your area. I think a lot of people get the "I"m too good to shop there" attitude. I actually live in a pretty affluent area, and they are always busy!

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #24 of 66

The powdered sugar at Aldi's is cheap and good!! I have never had a lump. The only complaint I have with Aldi's concerns my dear husband. He LOVES to go there and shop!! He loves the german beer, the austrian chocolates, the fresh cookies, stollen, dried cherries, need I say more??? I have just given up on my diet!! He carries his "Aldi" bag in the car all the time. This is a man that hates to shop. Well, I will say the milk, eggs, powdered sugar, dried cherries, and fresh fruit (bananas are a steal) keep me coming in also. You can also get some really great deals on offset umbrellas and reclining deck chairs in the spring. Oh, and never try to beat the German community in when they have the german sales - they will run you over!! Love Aldi's. BTW, the upscale vehicles sometimes out number the other vehicles, so never feel "poor" for going there. I feel proud to find such good bargains.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #25 of 66

OMG...I miss Aldi so much! We had one for several years. I shopped there every week and saved SO much money. Their prices are very consistent and they do have seasonal and occasional special buys on some real treasures.

Our Aldi was always busy. Then...Wally World Super Center came to town.
They sold just a bit cheaper and/or same price as Aldi....drove Aldi right out of town. Then guess what? Up went the prices at 'ole Wally World. And, now...they are the only "discout" grocery we have anywhere for MILES.
I would dearly love to shop at Aldi again... icon_cry.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #26 of 66

I bought a small notebook and keep track of stuff I buy, color coated for Walmart,Aldi and Sams. Aldi is cheaper on most stuff, although will note Sams pork tenderloin was 2.99/ lb vs 3.99 lb at Aldi. Did not like the cake mix though, my BC or DH bakes up higher. Otherwise I haven't found anything I did not like. By the way, the one in OK takes credit cards. I use my discover everytime I am there. I do pay an extra quarter though for process fee. I love this place. Just found it a couple months ago and have lived here for 3 years.

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #27 of 66

I wish we had one here in southwest Florida!!!

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:31am
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 282513

Foodnetwork(I think) did a segment on Aldi. They actually sell most namebrand items under generic labels. They keep their prices low by not selling a large variety of items. It is quite a massive chain and worth looking into.

Most any place that sells items under the store brand is just putting their label on a name brand. If you remember when the Peter Pan Peanut Butter was recalled, there were a number of store brands also recalled because they were done at the same plant.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:31am
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

That must just be in your area, because I'm in Ohio, and there are always lots of people there. They are very clean and their prices are awesome. Might just be your area. I think a lot of people get the "I"m too good to shop there" attitude. I actually live in a pretty affluent area, and they are always busy!

Um, no. I shop at the Goodwill next door to the Aldi, so I don't think I'm too good.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:34am
post #30 of 66

I love Aldi. Their fresh fruit and veggies are great. Their chocolate cake mix is the only one my family will eat. Great milk and egg prices too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%