Is This Worth It?? ...pricing Mini Cakes

Decorating By mamacc Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm by sugarshack

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 9

A long time customer of mine and I have been talking about Christmas gifts...she wants me to do 10 mini christmas themed cakes for her to give as gifts. What I want to make is a small ornament box with the ornament inside and maybe some gumpaste tissue paper around the ornament. I'm thinking about 3 x 3 in square for the box size.

Originally I was going to do 6 for $25 each and now she's proposing 10 cakes at $20 each. Is this worth it?? I think I can do these fairly quickly if I can keep myself from doing too much detailicon_smile.gif

Thanks!!

8 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9

That doesn't sound very much $ for a lot of work. Why don't you make one to see how long it will take you? I agree that sometimes making 10 could be not much more work than making one. If she is a great customer you might want to take the job to keep her sweet!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 9

Those 10 people that get those gifts, with your card discreetly attached, could become great customers too. I think if you attack this systematically 10 would be no more difficult than 6.

mamacc Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 9

She is a really good customer....3 kids that she gets cakes for, a halloween cake, christmas gifts, and referrals.

Thanks for the advice! Plus my mom is coming down to help me with holiday orders, and she is so much more helpful than my dh!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

$2 a mini cake for 10 cakes? Umm, okay how much do you charge per serving? How many servings are going to be in he 3x3 cube. I charge $2 per serving for a size of 1x2x5. That would be charging the same as a serving size for much more cake and alot more work since smaller items usually end up being more time consuming.

Yes she may be a great customer and yes you could get orders from it, but how many of those are going to want the same great pricing deal? Plus great customer that she is, should be willing to pay what you are worth.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

$2 a mini cake for 10 cakes? Umm, okay how much do you charge per serving? How many servings are going to be in he 3x3 cube. I charge $2 per serving for a size of 1x2x5. That would be charging the same as a serving size for much more cake and alot more work since smaller items usually end up being more time consuming.

Yes she may be a great customer and yes you could get orders from it, but how many of those are going to want the same great pricing deal? Plus great customer that she is, should be willing to pay what you are worth.

It's $20 PER CAKE, not $20 for all 10 cakes

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #7 of 9

Opps sorry, missed the each part. Ignore me.

mamacc Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Opps sorry, missed the each part. Ignore me.

LOL!

I e mailed her back and told her I'd do them. I hope I can find some decent boxes to put them in.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 9

TRY www.papermart.com for cute clear boxes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%