What Is Your Favorite Dark Chocolate For Baking?

Decorating By kathik Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm by -K8memphis

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! Even though I don't have my own business right now I am still working in the food industry. I am working for a company that wants to make a "Premium" Chocolate bar for baking. They have asked me to do research into what % of cocoa and size of bar would be best. Of course, I immediately thought of all of you. So, tell me what brand you like and why, % of cocoa you prefer (if you know) and what size would be good for home bakers.

Please help me out on this, maybe we can get another good baking chocolate on the market!

Thanks,
Kathi

8 replies
kathik Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 9

Doesn't anyone like chocolate today? What do you use in your cakes/brownies, etc.?

I love Callebaut Semisweet when I can get it. It's flavorful but mellow. And it melts wonderfully. I like 8 oz packages although a lot of times I see 3-4 oz bars.

Anyone have an opinion?

Kathi

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

Hi, I like Scharfenburger chocolate bars and Vahlrona cocoa. Both are (at least) 70% cocoa.

kathik Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks dmich. Anyone else have a particular brand/% of cocoa solids they prefer to use for bittersweet chocolate in your baking?

Thanks,
Kathi

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

I like the semisweet Callebeaut too. I can get it in 11 lb blocks for about $40 and it's a good all around chocolate.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:52am
post #6 of 9

I don't know the answer to you question but I would like to recommend that you look into the book Bittersweet by Alice Medrich. It is all about chocolate and she talks about the different percentages too. Hope this helps.

kathik Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, delisa01. I'll check into that book. I know a fair amount about this, I just wanted opinions from bakers about what you like or would like to be able to get.

Thanks mamacc. Thanks a great price!

Any other opinions?

Kathi

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 9
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 9

I mostly use Baker's unsweetened. Charles Desaulniers of Death by Chocolate fame uses Bakers. So if it was good enough for Charlie...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%