1St Wedding Cake Help!

Decorating By meme Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 12:02am by ranbel

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, after many yrs of doing birthday and other cakes I decided to take on my first wedding cake. The wedding is this weekend, and now I am freaking out just alittle. I have done 2 tiered cakes for birthday parties, and always just used wooden dowel rods in the cake and sat the cake directly on top, never any kinda support that would go through the center of both cakes.
Now that I am reading all the info on here I am terrified!! I am doing a 14", 10" and 6" squared wedding cake, I will not be traveling with it assembled. I will assemble it at the reception hall. Do I need that center support? or is that for transportation purposes? I read about SPF, however, I don't have time to order that, and is that the same as The hidden pillars? I have used them before and hated them. It took chucks of cake out, Big holes. Not very nice looking to me and wasted cake. Would I be okay with the method I have always used? Wilton dowel rods for support? Any input would be greatly apprecitated! icon_redface.gif

13 replies
meliais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meliais Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 14

Hi!
There is a video on youtube called asembling a wedding cake

Hope it helps!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 14

If you are assembling on site, just dowel like normal with cake boards inbetween. No support dowel needed, unless you are going to be moving the cake around.

I would do what you know. Now is not the time (this close to the event) to start trying new things. Stick to your plan and you will be fine! First time jitters are natural!

Good Luck!

Stephanie

meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you, and the jitters did not start until today!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 14

I used wood dowels for a 3 tier squared cake once with no problem. If you are assembling it at the location I wouldn't even worry about it.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 14

I used wood dowels for a 3 tier squared cake once with no problem. If you are assembling it at the location I wouldn't even worry about it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 14

At this point, I would agree to do what you know. NEXT cake, though, try SPS.

I will have to disagree with you about the W hidden pilalrs taking out a large amount of cake, though. Yes, each one is larger than a dowel, but collectively, I don't think they remove any more cake than using a lot of dowels. And anyway, the goal here is *supporting* the cake. And not worrying about how much cake is displaced. That should just not be a concern.

meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 14

I appreciate your replys, any helpful tips on applying the ribbon around the bottom borders? I have a burgandy grosgrain ribbon to go on each tier, I fear the icing may spot through.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 14

You're using real ribbon?

meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 14

Yes, it is a real ribbon.

meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, it is a real ribbon.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 14

Some people will put contact paper on the back or iron it onto wax paper and the wax paper will prevent grease bleed through. I am making my first cake with a real ribbon and I am going to test the wax paper procedure this weekend and see how it works. My wedding cake is Dec. 20 so let me know what you did and how it worked for you.

meme Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 14

So the wax paper will stick to the ribbon? That is a neat trick.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:02am
post #14 of 14

As for the ribbon, I use clear contact paper and of course, you just trim it down the edges...it also stiffens it up a bit as well...

Good luck on your first cake. I was the same way with my first wedding cake, which was my step daughters....HUGH cake for my first one...she said the bigger the better..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%