Cakeman Raven Cake....i Did The Recipe!

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 7 Dec 2015 , 6:59am by bibika

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #31 of 47

I love RV cake. I have done the Sarah's RV cake here on CC and I really love it. But I will definitely give this one a try. Probably for this weekend for Valentine's. Thanks, I just printed the recipe!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #32 of 47

I use to use his recipe but I thought it was me and I did not like red velvet cake but I tried one from cc and it was great I got great reviews and I'm sticking with it. But you can use fondant with cakeman raven red velvet cake.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:13am
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

I use to use his recipe but I thought it was me and I did not like red velvet cake but I tried one from cc and it was great I got great reviews and I'm sticking with it. But you can use fondant with cakeman raven red velvet cake.

Thanks!

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:34am
post #34 of 47

I tried this cake and was good. The only problem I had was with the food colouring. For some reason the colour seperated during baking so I ended up with a two toned cake, brown at the bottom and red on the top half. I'm really confused about this one cause I had combined the ingredients well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #35 of 47

Hi to all...I'd like to know if you can use the Wilton's red dye for this cake.
Chocolatestone, sorry I can't help you since I've never done this cake...
Good luck!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:51am
post #36 of 47

Just looking at the recipe, I'm sure the "greasy" feel some are getting is due to the amount of oil in the recipe. I checked the reviews on Foodnetwork for the recipe, a few decreased the amount of oil. I may give this a try this weekend but I'm definitely cutting down a bit on the oil.

And as far as coloring, you can find red food dye at any grocery store in the seasonings aisle. What you'd use to dye easter eggs.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

And as far as coloring, you can find red food dye at any grocery store in the seasonings aisle. What you'd use to dye easter eggs.

Thank you very much for your response Ironbaker...I've never used red food dye before so I didn't even know they sell it at grocery stores icon_smile.gif
I'm also tempted on trying this recipe over the weekend.
Good luck!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #38 of 47

I tried this recipe on Sunday night and there is hardly any cake left... I keep eating it all! My hubby and kids have had a few pieces, but not nearly as much as me. I think I've found my new favorite cake icon_biggrin.gif

diana1775 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana1775 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:36pm
post #39 of 47

hi there can anyone give me the ORIGINAL recipe for CAKE MAN RAVENS red velvet cake?
It is no t on the web site, and i want to make the cake this weekend. Please!!!

Thank you and happy baking!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 3:55am
post #40 of 47

It's on the Food Network site. It is also all over the web. Also, and this really irks me, Chef Steph put Cakeman's recipe on CC and called it hers, but it is his recipe, just credit wasn't given.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 5:14am
post #41 of 47

Has anyone tried the cake flour version and the All-purpose flour version? Which is better?

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 12:32am
post #42 of 47

I haven't tried it with straight up all-purpose flour, but I make my own cake flour fpr this cake using AP flour and cornstarch. Just replace 2 tbsp of the flour with 2 tbsp of cornstarch for every cup of flour, and sift like crazy...4-5 times. Sooo much cheaper than buying cake flour, and works the same!

This is the only RV recipe I've ever made, and everyone I know has absolutely raved about it. I do omit a bunch of the oil (it's still plenty moist), and add a little more cocoa powder (but not enough to turn it into a "chocolate" cake). I have made his CC frosting, but I found too heavy - now I use a crusting CC frosting OR most of the time, I use the "extra special buttercream" with CC added. I got the recipe from this site and I really like that particular frosting.

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 8:05pm
post #43 of 47

I just made the Cake Man Raven RV. It was the best tasting of the ones I have made (Crumb Boss's tasted good right after baking, but was dry and bland the next day despite being filled, frosted, and fondant covered). The only problem I had was the oil! It didn't seem too oily when I made it, but I crumbled the cake and used it for cake pops. While the candy coating was drying on them, they started falling off the pop sticks and I noticed that they were literally dripping oil! I need to make RV again this week and I'm curious for those of you that decreased the oil, how much did you cut out? I was thinking I would use 1-1 1/4 c. instead of the 1 1/2 cups called for (so cut by 1/4-1/2 c.).

gina p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina p Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:48pm
post #44 of 47

can you give me the recipe...cakeman ravens site is closed down, thanks.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalena352 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalena352 Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:04am
post #46 of 47

I can't locate the actual recipe.

bibika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bibika Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 6:59am
post #47 of 47

It looks like Cakeman Raven's site is down and I read somewhere that he was closing his Brooklyn bakery :( The recipes on google are all different and the one on the food network calls for AP flour, does anyone have the one from his site saved maybe you could share it please.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%