My Intentions Are So Great At Christmas...get So Tired

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm by jammjenks

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 7

I have all these great ideas for teachers gifts and cookies and cakes and baking in general and then Wham......time always gets away from me and I never end up doing in of it... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif It's like my poor kids...every year I have this grand cake in mind for their birthdays and I get so busy with customer cake orders I never end up doing the cake I want ...Do you any of you ever feel like this?? I feel like I am letting everyone down because by this time I just want a break ..No baking,No decorating and "Please don't ask me to bring dessert for Christmas dinner"" icon_cry.gificon_wink.gif

Laurel

6 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 7

I never get all the baking I want done.

Part of my issue is my youngest's birthday in the middle of the month.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

I put an end to the holiday baking madness of cookies, candies, themed cupcakes, etc. about 5 years ago. I decided that since I bake all year long, the holidays are a good time for me to give it a rest. Besides, there are a lot of people who only bake during the holidays, so now I get to sample everyone else's treats. icon_biggrin.gif

I felt a little guilty the first year, but on the other hand my holidays were a lot less stressful and a lot more happier. I never looked back!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 7

Yay, Snowboarder, I agree with you!! I bake all year long, so when I go to pot luck dinners, I DON'T bring dessert! I'm going to one on Saturday and bringing an appetizer and a salad!

And another secret...I **GASP** bought frozen cookie dough from my daughter's school fundraiser! When I need a quick batch of cookies for something, out comes the dough... icon_biggrin.gif

don't get me wrong...I love to bake and cook, but something has to give at this time of year!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

I do that with EVERYTHING. Make big long lists of all the X I'm going to do (where X is baking, gardening, decorating, cleaning etc). Then when I get halfway through and am exhausted, I'm annoyed with myself because I only got half done!

Take a break - I'm sure you've earned it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I feel like I am letting everyone down because by this time I just want a break ..

You're probably not letting THEM down .... you're probably letting YOU down because you set such high standards for yourself.

I saw a cartoon once of two alley cats sitting on a fence, one saying to the other: "The secret of my success? Extremely low goals!" icon_lol.gif

Sometimes to be "successful" (at relaxing and enjoying the holiday), we have to set very low goals on what WE expect US to do.

Kick back .... it's another example of no one notices but us. thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 7

When it comes to potlucks (or "covered dish dinners" as we call them around here), I often bring something savory instead of sweet too. If I do bring a dessert, it is DEFINATELY an undecorated one and often it is a pie. This year, kick your feet up and bring green beans to those dinners. icon_wink.gif

As for my kids' birthdays, I do whatever cake they want. I mark off that date on my cake calendar/planner and refuse any other order for that day. In my opinion, they sacrifice their mom all year to other people's orders so they deserve a great cake for their birthday. In June, my 6-year-old wanted three cakes and guess what she got......three cakes. I would do it for a paying customer and my children pay their dues, just not in monetary form. My youngest will turn 5 on 12/19, DH is 12/25, and my niece is 12/26 and all those dates say "reserved" for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%