Snowflake Help Please

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 5:52am by beemarie

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18865

Help. I bought these snowflake cutters and they do not work. I've tried everything. The instructions say to grease them, I tried spray and shortening and they stick like crazy. I tried rolling my fondant really thin and thick. All that comes out is a mess. All I can get is an impression from the cutter, and it looks like a hot mess since it doesnt remove all of the excess fondant.

I need this for a wedding for this weekend and thats too short of notice to order anything else at this point.

Does anyone know how to use these cutters or could you point me in the direction of something else that would work. I need to make about 30 snowflakes ranging from about 1" - 2" and they can be various designs.
LL

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 7

You'll have better luck using gumpaste or a mixture of gumpaste and fondant (heavier on the gumpaste).

The gumpaste needs to be rolled SUPER thin. A pasta machine helps a lot. Then, let it set up for about a minute before using the cutter.

The trick is for your paste to be as thin and dry as possible while still a little pliable. Fondant by itself stays too soft and sticky.

I used those cutters on this cake. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1168552

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I'm going to try that tonight. I rolled my fondant really thin, i'm going to try the gumpaste. Do you know if there's a trick to how to lift them out. Do I push straight down on the cutter, do I try to push down and side to side?

Does it get stuck inside the cutter? Do I need to grease the cutter like the instructions say, or will that make it too sticky?

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7

I know that Aine2 had a tutorial video on how to get the letters out, I think this would apply to you also, I'm sorry, I don't have the link, but if you search for her name or check out her youtube you can find it. I thought I heard to dip the cutters in cornstarch and then let the fondant dry out a little so it's not so pliable? HOpe this helps! icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

luvchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvchocolate Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 7

Everything DianeLM said, plus . . . Rub a little Crisco on your cutter. Not too much -- just a little. If you can see the white of Crisco on your cutter, you have used too much. When I use the patchwork cutters this way, they stay on my work surface -- not in the cutter.

I've also made snowflakes using paper punches. They work beautifully.

Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #6 of 7

Sorry, I wasn't notified of the responses to this thread.

For other patchwork cutters, I coat the work surface with Crisco - but not with the snowflakes.

DO apply the THINNEST coat of Crisco to the cutter. I usually brush it on, then blot it on a paper towel.

Press the cutter onto the gumpaste. You can slide it around on the work surface a little to make sure it has cut all the way through. Then, pull the excess gumpaste away before you lift the cutter.

Lift the cutter. The snowflake should be stuck to it, but not so much that you can't get it out. Use a toothpick to remove any little bits of excess gumpaste still attached to the cutter.

With the tip of a toothpick or Xacto knife, gently coax the snowflake out of the cutter. It should essentially "fall" out of the cutter.

If you really have to dig to get the snowflake out, then the gumpaste was either not thin enough or not dry enough. Some gumpastes have to sit in open air for a few minutes after being rolled out to dry out/firm up a little.

Hope this helps!

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #7 of 7

All I can say is listen to Diane! I had trouble with RI snowflakes last December for a wedding cake, and she answered my post about my troubles and walked me through the process, step by step, and they worked beautifully. She knows what she is talking about!
Merry Christmas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%