Mmf...to Refrigerate Or Not?

Decorating By ape74 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm by rockysmommy

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:22am
post #1 of 12

I'm going to try MMF for the first time, but I have a question about the storing of it. I'll be making it a few days before I actually use it and doing all that stuff you know, like rubbing it with crisco and wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap inside an airtight container, etc. Now, my question is. Do I refrigerate it or not? Some say yes and some say no. What do I do? I'm so confused. icon_cry.gif I have some other questions:

If refrigerated:
1. Do I get out of fridge on the day I'll be using it and let it get warm and then on microwave for about 10 seconds like everyone suggests or does it go directly to the microwave right out of the fridge?

If not refrigerated:
2. Does it still need to go in the microwave for about 10 seconds?

Now, what about leftovers? I would guess I store it the way I originally did the first time right? How long is it still good for whether refrigerated or not.

Thanks everyone. I'd rather ask the questions now then to be stuck in the middle of a disaster, lol!

11 replies
ape74 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone??? icon_sad.gif

ape74 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 12

Anyone??? icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 12

Sorry I don't use MMF. I made it once, but never again. I can say that with purchased fondant, there's no need to store it in the refrigerator. I can't see how it would make much or any difference in when it went into the microwave. You're only going to heat it for maybe 8 - 10 seconds anyway.

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 12

I use MMF all the time and there is no need to put it in the fridge. Just make sure you cover it well and put it in a zip lock bag.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Sorry I don't use MMF. I made it once, but never again. I can say that with purchased fondant, there's no need to store it in the refrigerator. I can't see how it would make much or any difference in when it went into the microwave. You're only going to heat it for maybe 8 - 10 seconds anyway.

Did you have a bad experience with it? I was thinking about using it on the wedding cake that I have to make in January. I haven't made any mmf as of yet. Any feed back is appreciated...thanks in advance.

Robin

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 12

I didn't find it to be consistent, and it was messy to make. I work in volume. I use SatinIce and have been extremely pleased with it.

ape74 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you Iva1976 for your feedback. Now, do I still heat up a little for about 10 seconds when I'm ready to use it?

Well, wish me luck. I hope I can master this. Oh Leahs, I hope I don't have your experience. I wish I could use Satin, but I wouldn't be able to afford it all the time. I plan on purchasing it though. I heard it's yummy! icon_razz.gif

rockysmommy Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

I didn't find it to be consistent, and it was messy to make. I work in volume. I use SatinIce and have been extremely pleased with it.

Thank you...Where can I find the Satin Ice fondant?

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iva1976

I use MMF all the time and there is no need to put it in the fridge. Just make sure you cover it well and put it in a zip lock bag.

DITTO. I haven't had to microwave it or refrigerate it.

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 12

Nearly any online or local cake supplies store will carry SatinIce.

rockysmommy Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Nearly any online or local cake supplies store will carry SatinIce.

Thanks...I couldn't find it local.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%