Will It Serve Enough?

Decorating By ColeAlayne Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm by ColeAlayne

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:22am
post #1 of 4

Will a 8, 10, 12 square (4" high tiers) wedding cake serve 100 people discounting the 8 as the topper? There is such a big discrepancy between Wilton Party size (which I usually use), Wilton wedding and other charts.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:57am
post #2 of 4

8 square serves 32 / 10 square serves 50 / 12 square serves 72. So by my numbers, that serves 122 plus the 8" serves 32 = 154 total servings.

An 8" square is a pretty big top tier, though.

I always cut my cakes the wilton size (1x2x4 industry standard). We have plenty of cake and it's a nice size piece of cake. On my website is a step by step on how to cut cakes (round or square) to achieve these sizes. You can also see the size of the cut pieces in the same link. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 4

I agree w/debi. Use her charticon_smile.gif There is an industry standard of a wedding serving being 1x2x4. That's what you should base your pricing on. I cut a piece of styro to show customers. Also when they come for a tasting I give them about 1/2 that much (they usually are tasting 2-4 flavors) and explain that it is about 1/2. If they want bigger pieces let them purchase a bigger cake.

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 4

Good point on charging per the standard wedding size. I will do that. I think I get caught up on the idea that there won't be enough cake. That is always my biggest fear. I think my Grandmother did that to me icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%