Silver Dragaes

Decorating By lifonahil Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:04am by elder1971

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #1 of 14

You can not purchase silver dragaes in california. The cake shop were i go is not allowed to sell them as ediable. Only inediable. He has to go out of state and pick them up and drive them back. There are not even allowed to be shipped to california. Due to the lead content and the amount of pounds one consumes. I think we were told like 9 pounds would make you sick. Someone sued and won. Who eat 9 pounds of those hard little silver things. So funny!

13 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:33am
post #2 of 14

Actually he didn't sue anybody (or at least, not many people) and win; he threatens to sue and everyone stops selling dragees to AVOID the actual lawsuits. If any cake shop had a big enough cash budget and a lot of time on its hands, it could actually sell them and then try to fight the inevitable lawsuit. I think that's why they sell them on the DL...because it's not actually illegal to sell them so they just sell them quietly to trusted customers who won't rat them out.

There is no lead in dragees, only trace amounts of a silver compound, which indeed is only harmful if you eat MASSIVE amounts, and I do mean massive. We probably ingest more toxins from plastics leaching into our food, but I guess his point is the metals never leave your system the way other toxins do so he doesn't think people should take that chance. Thanks dude, why don't you start with *cigarettes* then. Sheesh.

Here are a few threads with links to articles about that spoilsport guy
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6098375-.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=598240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dragees&&start=0

It sucks. I'd love to get my hands on some of those. I just rolled out and painted a ton of tiny ones to glue onto keepsake GUMPASTE figures, NOT TO BE EATEN mr consumer activist guy! It's really annoying. thumbsdown.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for letting me know that. That is what i was told. Sorry if i gave wrong information.

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 14

I have been able to buy them at my cake supply store in CA and also online at http://www.fancyflours.com/.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 14

No worries lifonahil, that's precisely what I thought for years. I just figured the article I linked to would be interesting, I couldn't believe it myself when I realized they weren't even illegal!! icon_mad.gif Even one of the stores I went to a few weeks ago said the same thing "Oh no we can't sell them, they're illegal in CA." So the misconception is passed along even from the shops themselves, who are unaware of their rights.

Do either of you live in SoCal? I'd love to find them locally, if you care to PM me where you can get them. Don't post it here! Or else you could get them in trouble. Aimers if you can edit your post I'd even remove that link; the guy goes after out of state people too, if they dare to ship to CA. [edited to add: I just checked their website, they say they won't ship silver ones to CA anyway]

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 14

i guess that is the one cake making plus of living in the uk rather than the us - we get to eat as many of the things as we want!
xx

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 14

When I was young my mom would buy these in Maryland and I would sit for hours eating them by the handful. I bet I glow radioactive green in the dark now in my old age.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 14

Spoilsport, no childhood is complete without chipping your teeth on those little buggers. I love dragees, it is instant glamour!

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 14

My previous post stated that Fancy Flours sold them... I have not ordered them in a while an when I went on this is what they have listed, I am sorry for the misdirection. As you can tell it's been a while since I ordered them since they take so long to go through.

"Add an elegant accent to cake designs, sugar flowers, or cookies with these gorgeous, shiny, metallic-colored balls. As fabulous as these decorations are, please note that silver and gold dragees are to be used as "decoration only" per the FDA because they contain trace amounts of metal (ie: silver). Although people do consume dragees in most parts of the world, some culinary professionals are recommending they be removed before eating any confectionary treat garnished with them. Federal and state authorities list silver as toxic at certain levels. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has declared dragees as non-edible and requires jars to carry labels saying they're "for decoration only." We choose not to ship these items to California because of recent lawsuits in that state."[/list]

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 14

He is an Environmental Attorney, and won his fight using the EPA as the culprit, so to speak. In 2003 his succedded in having dragees banned in the state of California based on landfill issues.. Here is the original news release.. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL IMHO, he needs to re-evaluate his priorities in life... icon_rolleyes.gif

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 14

This really sucks!!!! i wish I was wealthy because I would fight for our right to use them in California.

How come other states get to use them or is in just in California?

Those dragees make the cakes anc cookies look so beautiful. I live in SoCal too and no one will sell them to me...One guy on ebay said that he was going to report me to ebay because I tried to buy some from him. I asked him why and he said that he can't sell them to me. I told him that he doesn't have it posted. Sure enough, an hour later, he had it posted big as day. " I DON'T SELL SILVER OR GOLD LUSTER DUST OR DRAGEES TO FOLKS IN CALIFORNIA".

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 14

a cake dec. store near me (just over the Pa. border) sells them! She said she couldn't buy them for a long time and now she found a place that doesn't use REAL silver to coat them.......they look exactlly the same to me though.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

When I was young my mom would buy these in Maryland and I would sit for hours eating them by the handful. I bet I glow radioactive green in the dark now in my old age.

I had a tasting a couple of weeks ago and one of the friends of the bride saw the dragees on a photo of one of my cakes. She was dying to have one, as she also remembers eating them as a child on christmas cookies. I brought some out for her and they had a ball tasting them again. I used to eat them by the handful as well when I was kid, and I guess all of our hair is just going to fall out or something.

I see on almost all the websites they are illegal in California. I always did wonder why...

elder1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elder1971 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:04am
post #14 of 14

I live in SoCal and can find them at my trusted little cake shop. If anyone would like to email me, I will give them the info. So far, no one has reported them. I love this little shop!

[email protected]

HTH!

Katie icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%