Tt - 10,8,6....not 12,9,6??

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm by all4cake

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 13

I had to start baking my cakes last week due to time constraints. I have already baked 3 - 10" cakes and a few 8"...so it is too late.

Will my topsy turvy still look ok?

I have noticed others did 12-9-6.....

12 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 13

no one? Anyone ever make make a topsy turvy with 6", 8", and 10"?

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 13

I dont know but I'm giving you a bump

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:27am
post #4 of 13
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:43am
post #5 of 13

Thank you!

all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:49am
post #6 of 13

You're welcome!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #7 of 13

I like the way the 6", 8", 10" combination looks. It's a more narrow look.

BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:04am
post #8 of 13

Sweet... icon_smile.gif The pick that all4cake sent over looked nice. I can rest assured now.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:13am
post #9 of 13

I use 10, 8 and 6 most of the time.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 13

I like it too! That's how I tend to do mine because you have to remember that the bottom is going to be carved in a little(if you carve it) so there will be more space at the bottom.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

yes, I've made them using 10, 8, and 6

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/normal_topsyturvy.JPG

all4cake sorry to jump in but i have been trying for 2days to find a TT cake, im to make one for the 19 for a Christmas party will a 2 tier work like a 12-8 and look ok this will be my first attempt the top will have a very large topper like lime green presents on wires jumping out ever where and what kind of angle should i use on the top one and do i angle the base one
Thanks

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 13

All4cake - That is a very beautiful cake. Very unique

all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

yes, I've made them using 10, 8, and 6

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/normal_topsyturvy.JPG

all4cake sorry to jump in but i have been trying for 2days to find a TT cake, im to make one for the 19 for a Christmas party will a 2 tier work like a 12-8 and look ok this will be my first attempt the top will have a very large topper like lime green presents on wires jumping out ever where and what kind of angle should i use on the top one and do i angle the base one
Thanks

First off, thanks everyone for the kind words on my cake! Truly unexpected but so greatly appreciated!

I've been watching the other thread to see if you had any other questions pertaining to your upcoming cake(thread stalker here!). A 2 tier will look fine. 12 and 8 would be preferable to a 12 6 combo(IMHO). I like the look of the taller tiers so I use 3 layers for each tier. I use 3 of the same sized layers for each tier too(as opposed to the 10/11/12,8/7/6). I split, fill and stack two of the layers making sure to put icing between the two layers as well. Ice the top of the two layers. Mark the icing for placement of next cake tier with a cake circle slightly larger than the bottom of the tier being placed on it (use a 7" circle(possibly cut from an 8" circle) if the bottom of the next tier up is going to be 6")and dowel making sure the supports(whatever type you choose to use) are even. The cake circle will be staying there. I then place the third layer on and mark it for cutting. I then cut it at an angle, beginning at the top edge of one side of the top layer to the bottom edge of the same layer. If you like the pitch as it is, reserve that cut piece for snacking. If you'd like more of a slant, ice the cut area, rotate the cut off piece 180 degrees and set on top of iced area. Using the marked area as a guide, cut out area down to cake circle that was placed between the 2nd and 3rd layers. Crumbcoat entire cake including cut out area and leave to settle for several hours. For the top tier do the same except don't use a cake circle or supports between 2nd and 3rd layers and make sure you've cut a circle the same size as the one between the layers on lower tier...just you'll be carving your cake a bit smaller than the board....in this example, the bottom of the top tier is to be carved to a 6" or so diameter and be resting on a 7" board. Crumbcoat and allow to settle for several hours. Clean up...do whatever to keep from checking on it(watched pot never boils, right?). Ice each tier, do whatever smoothing method you normally do..it does take a bit of extra time but it's worth it. With an angled spatula and your tongue hanging just right, smear a bit of icing on that circle that is resting on the dowels then carefully put your top tier in place...it's best to decide how you want it angled before you pick it up to place it. You may find it easier to maneuver if you freeze it until the icing is hardened too. Drive a center dowel through the center of the cake all the way into the base cake board(assuming it is of multiple cake circles or a cake drum). Fill in any gaps with cake or icing or a combination of the two and decorate as desired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%