Hard Fondant

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 4:55am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 4

I was wondering what do you do after decorating a fondant covered cake in order to prevent the fondant from hardening? I've made about 6 cakes and although I didn't notice with the first few, I've noticed that 2 out of 4 had very hard fondant/MMF (one of each) by the time the cake was cut. Nobody has complained but I noticed with one of the cakes I made (for my daughter's b-day party) that this didn't happen. I can't figure out what I did differently. I have used both fondant and MMF for all of these cakes (I tend to use fondant for white tiers because I can never get my MMF really white even after adding white coloring). Yet two of the cakes covering was hard and two of them were soft (they all sat out for the same amount of time!)

Anyway, what does everyone do in order to keep their fondant from hardening after decorating but before delivery/cake cutting?

Please help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:21am
post #2 of 4

I use Satin Ice and I think maybe it doesn't get as hard as MMF. I made that stuff once, and never again. I do frequently rub the tinest bit of veg shortening on my palms, then give the cake a quick rub all over.

MargaretG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MargaretG Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

I had that problem over the weekend. The MOB returned the fountain and I asked how everything went. She said the fondant was almost impossible to cut into, and it ruined her photographs, whatever that meant. She said people could not eat it, but the cake was good! I've never had anyone complain about any of my cakes before. I used Fondex, which I used two weeks ago for another cake and no problems there. I asked Sharon about the problem, she asked it the fondant was on thick, no, was it a room temperature (had a cream cheese filling, refridgerated) yes, and her utensils, which were cheap bridal knife, maybe. She said that would tear apart the fondant instead of cutting it.
Margaretg

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. I no longer use Satin Ice because I have had very bad experiences with it. Hard fondant being one of them. Do you cover the cakes after the fondant is on them? This has happened to me with both Satin Ice and MMF (I haven't tried anything else yet).

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%