Gumpaste Flower Help

Decorating By karateka Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 3:57am by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #1 of 3

Hi...

I finally got a request for a gumpaste flower bouquet on top of a wedding cake! I'm very excited, but I have a dilemma.

I've made the flowers before and am confident that I can do it again. But I have only made arrangements designed by my teacher.

How big (ie, how many flowers) should it be for the top of a 2 tier cake with a 7in diameter top tier? I need to price quote him by Friday, and I know how much to charge per flower and leaf grouping. But I'm not sure how many flowers to quote him for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I suppose I could go buy some silk flowers and play with it, but time is limited between now and Friday, seeing as how I have 2 cakes due by then and a kid program twice during the week, in addition to preparing for a karate test! So I'm trying the shortcut first, by asking all you fine people at CC. Thanks in advance for sharing your know how....

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 3

Well, that's really inmpossible to say, unless we have some kind of idea what varieties of flowers you're planning. If you're planning large roses, 3 or 4. If you're planning individual hydrangea blooms, several hundred.

I charge $40 for a topper, whether it's a bow or flowers.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 3

Sorry, thought I said roses....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%