What Color Blue Would You Use For This Cake?

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 12:18am by tonedna

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 13

I have a cake for a military ball coming up this Friday. I'm attaching the sketch of what I want it to look like. My question is has anyone done a cake with a night sky theme and if so what color did you use to achieve the midnight blue? I'm going to use my airbrush to do this one and I'll be using Americolor colors.

I really need this to turn out well, it's not only a military ball, it's my husband's unit! I'll be attending the ball too, so I don't want to sit there the whole night looking at the cake saying, "Look, that's wrong and this is wrong".

Your help is appreciated
LL

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 13

this picture looks like it is shades of royal blue and shades of navy blue.... americolor has these shades.... the two different shades on this cake look really nice... hth

armywife99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife99 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 13

i agree with icer101 on the two shades of blue on the cake. it makes it look more realistic how the night sky fades from a light shade of blue to a dark shade of blue as the night goes on

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 13

Agree with the others. It's a cool design!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 13

Very cool design! The colours work so well together.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 13

this might help, i found it in the galleries

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1252984.html

HTH

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 13

I haven't personally done these colors, so I can't give you any advice........I just can't WAIT to SEE it when you get it done!!!!!
The sketch is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

susan

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you for all your positive responses. I also paint (impressionist art) so I'm really sensitive about shading and realism. When you look at the night sky it's lighter closer to the earth's atmosphere and gets darker as you go up, so that's the effect I'm trying to recreate.
The soldier on one side represents all the soldiers from the hospital that are downrange and the family on the other side represent the families that are back here waiting for them. They're all looking up at the same star from their respective places in the world.
This is one of those cakes that I would hate to fail at.
scoutmamma: thanks for the link.

Tita9499 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:57am
post #9 of 13

don't know if you've been able to check it out in person, but I posted the pic of the real thing on my photos...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #10 of 13

Looks great! I was going to post and say I have a dance theme cake in my photos with a navy blue midnight color at the top and lighter at the bottom but your cake turned out super.

Great job!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 13

Great job on the cake!! I have a friend who is at Ft. Bliss also--her husband just got deployed to South Korea and she is staying behind there in Texas.

Tita9499 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDZA

Great job on the cake!! I have a friend who is at Ft. Bliss also--her husband just got deployed to South Korea and she is staying behind there in Texas.

Oh Lord! Well, I guess Korea is better than Iraq or Afghanistan. Tell her is she needs anything she can send me an email or something. PM me if you'd like my info.

Thanks for looking.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:18am
post #13 of 13

I did one kind of like that for a bride that wanted the cake going from dark blue to very light. All in buttercream. I used Royal blue and for the darker one I added a drop of black. The lighter I wanted it the more white I added. She wanted the color to be marbeliezed so this is what finally looked.. The ball on the top was made by the bride, she wanted something of hers in the cake..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%