Air Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 4:25am by sweetcakes

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Again!

You guys have been my saviors today!

I tried doing Sugarshack's method of making icing...but I used my own recipe. Still, I have way too many air bubbles in the frosting. Is there any way to get some of those out?

Kristi

7 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 8

Did you try to "paddle" the icing with your icing spatula? That helps get some bubbles out. I've heard using one of those handheld drink mixer things (sorry, the name escapes me right now!) that you put down inside a glass works well, but it's time consuming.

I just don't have any problems with Sharon's recipe so I stick with that. I have adjusted the flavorings though since I don't care for WB. I add 1/2 tsp. salt to the hot creamer mixture to dissolve it, and four drops of Lorann Butter flavoring, and I swear, this makes it taste just like my regular buttercream recipe with real butter. I think I could even add a tiny bit more salt and flavoring but have been too afraid to ruin a good thing!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 8

Fill the mixer bowl alll the way up and paddle it on low until they are all gone.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 8

Ditto what the others said.......don't be afraid to let it mix on low for 15-20 minutes - especially if the bowl is *full* and using the paddle attchment.

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 8

I am going to try Sharon's recipe next. I really love her DVDs. I had an easier time smoothing the icing today with a pot of water on the stove and copy paper...although, I am not the master of smoothing yet, but I have lots of time to practice!!!

I did use the paddle attachment. I have decided I hate my KitchenAid...it's one of the mixers that the head does not tilt on, so that just gets in the way. I think I might buy a new one this year.

Thanks for all of your help. I was able to get most of the bubbles out.

Kristi icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 8

Fill the mixer bowl alll the way up and paddle it on low until they are all gone.

KoryAK Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #8 of 8

i find that even though the icing i make is lovely and smooth when i make it, what doesn;t get used and is stored for the next cake is really airy, im guessing the airpockets swell while its stored, even in the fridge. but mixing it with a wide spatula will eliminate alot of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%