Copyright Question And Make A Wish Foundation

Decorating By ElenasCakes Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm by ElenasCakes

ElenasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElenasCakes Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 6

I was contacted by Make a Wish Foundation to make a Scooby Doo cake for 7 year old boy Wishes Do come True! party.
I do not make copyright cakes, but since this will be a donation, can I make this cake (I was planning to make a 2D cake cut in the shape of Scooby Doo)?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

My understanding of this very mis-understood subject is that yes you will be o.k. since no monies will change hands - & that includes bartering.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

I would ask the Foundation to get a one-time use waiver/release from the company that owns the copyright. I can't imagine they would say "no" to Make-A-Wish; can you imagine the bad PR??

I don't know the legalities in this particular situation, since it is a bona fide donation, but if I were a business, I'd feel much better if I had the release, or some kind of legal clarification of the issue. You've got to CYA...

ElenasCakes Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you, I guess I only have the option of purchasing edible image or plastic figurines
Following advice by CakesByJen2, I went on WB website, to get the permission; the requests must be submitted by mail or fax complete and submit the WBEI Clip & Still Licensing Submission Form, apparently they have a large number of requests.
I will not be able to get the answer in time to do the cake, its due in 2 days (I received e-mail from Make a Wish this morning), how sad, I really wanted to make this cake special for the little boy.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenasCakes

Thank you, I guess I only have the option of purchasing edible image or plastic figurines
Following advice by CakesByJen2, I went on WB website, to get the permission; the requests must be submitted by mail or fax complete and submit the WBEI Clip & Still Licensing Submission Form, apparently they have a large number of requests.
I will not be able to get the answer in time to do the cake, its due in 2 days (I received e-mail from Make a Wish this morning), how sad, I really wanted to make this cake special for the little boy.

Ask Make A Wish... they might have the ability to cut through the red tape.

ElenasCakes Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 6

Ask Make A Wish... they might have the ability to cut through the red tape.

Unfortunatelly it will not work - I just called "Make a Wish", they have to go through National office, and it takes time and the cake is due in 2 days.
I just placed the order for Scooby Doo plastic figurine.... icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%