Black Icing Question

Decorating By patton Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm by patton

patton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to make a black icing that will not stain the teeth? Or...if you use chocolate icing, and add only a little black coloring, will that even stain the teeth? Thanks so much for any suggestions...

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 5

Black BC will stain teeth. Period. Black fondant is pretty safe.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 5

It's the nature of the beasticon_sad.gif
For future knowledge:
Save ever little dib & dab of icing - any color; all colors; together in a container in the fzr. When you need black, stir up your 'stash' (it will be a weird color but never fear) and add a bit of black.
And when I say dibs & dabs I mean like teaspoonsfull not 1/2 or even 1/4 cups. Just what's left from your projects that can't be used in a bag.
Once I had a student who brought in a quart jar of black! She was putting *all her leftover icing* together......then had sooooo much she shared it w/the whole class.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 5

I recently turned down a cake for a friend's OCD future dil. She wanted a detailed, square, black & white cake. She did not want fondant, and would not even consider chocolate. I explained about the food coloring, and how much black it would take to even get a dark grey color, and what it would do to teeth. She would not listen. She got another decorator. Cake was grey not black and white, and it stained the mouths of everyone who ate it! She did admit that I had warned her though!

patton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%