Topsy Turvy Anyone?? Jkalman ,indydebi Help

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 7:52pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 20

Hello , im going to try a Topsy turvy cake for a Christmas party for a friend of mine i printed off some instructions from this site and i dont have the odd sized cake pans that they have So i found a cake from Jkalman its beautiful and looks like maybe you dont need so many pans Does anyone out there know what sized pans that were used mine is only going to be 2 tirerd and i was thinking on the level of a 12in and a 6in but would a 8in be better she is wanting a wierd cake sorta like from Whoville, the greens and reds and so on does anyone know how i can get a hold of Jklman here on the site?? the cake is the baby shower cake in 07 Thanks to all and oh she wants the buttercream icing i know fondant is really used on these cakes can this be done and look good?? The bottom cake will have lime green stripes with red zigzags inbetween the green ones the top will have lime green curly Qs sticking out of the top with lime green presents on wires coming out of it.
Thanks

19 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 20

Send her a PM, she's very helpful. I think a 12 and 8 would look better than 12 and 6in. If you don't have all the pan sizes to make the angled sides, you can make it with straight sides or carve them in free hand. And yes you can do them in buttercream. I've done two in buttercream. For the first one, I used graduated size cake pans and carved the sides in, the second one I didn't carve the sides at all just used 10, 8 and 6 inch pans and just made another one yesterday with an 8 and 6 inch pan, didn't carve the sides at all.

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Send her a PM, she's very helpful. I think a 12 and 8 would look better than 12 and 6in. If you don't have all the pan sizes to make the angled sides, you can make it with straight sides or carve them in free hand.

thank you i think that my friend really wasnt thinking , she kinda wants it to be different as to what the whoville people are her Tree has bulbs on wires coming out the top and there red and lime green and her tree skirt is lime green and red so we call it the Whoville Tree, she did say for me to use my judgement on the size for the top and i was really leaning to the 8in

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:

Send her a PM, she's very helpful. I think a 12 and 8 would look better than 12 and 6in. If you don't have all the pan sizes to make the angled sides, you can make it with straight sides or carve them in free hand. And yes you can do them in buttercream. I've done two in buttercream. For the first one, I used graduated size cake pans and carved the sides in, the second one I didn't carve the sides at all just used 10, 8 and 6 inch pans and just made another one yesterday with an 8 and 6 inch pan, didn't carve the sides at all.

Do you have any pics of these the 10,8,6 sound great too, the second one sounds good to me since i have never attemped any thing slanted.

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 20

They're in my pics, just click on the "Photos" link under my post here. The first one is all blue with ocean creatures, I slanted that one just by adding more filling to one side of the cake than the other, it wasn't very daring though, didn't carve the sides or top at all and I didnt slant the top tier at all. The second one is pink, white and purple; I made that one with the graduated pan sizes and carving, follow the CC tutorial to go that route, very unstable if made without cutting a flat base for each tier to sit on. That one fell over because I didn't hammer my center dowel into the base board and I didn't cut a flat surface for the top tier to sit on, I just did it for the middle tier, I got lazy (it probably would have made it if not for the bumpy driveway but my construction was shotty regardless, it was pretty wobbly). The last one I made, I haven't posted yet, I'll attach it here. I carved each tier at an angle and just stacked it but I think it looks best if you carve a flat base for each tier to sit on though. Each tier has to be pretty tall to go that route, at least four inches tall preferably more and if youre only doing two tiers, make a nice big topper because it looks best as a three tier, maybe a Christmas tree topper? I highly recommend following the CC tutorial, you can do it without carving the sides just fine.
LL

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:

They're in my pics, just click on the "Photos" link under my post here. The first one is all blue with ocean creatures, I slanted that one just by adding more filling to one side of the cake than the other, it wasn't very daring though, didn't carve the sides or top at all and I didnt slant the top tier at all. The second one is pink, white and purple; I made that one with the graduated pan sizes and carving, follow the CC tutorial to go that route, very unstable if made without cutting a flat base for each tier to sit on. That one fell over because I didn't hammer my center dowel into the base board and I didn't cut a flat surface for the top tier to sit on, I just did it for the middle tier, I got lazy (it probably would have made it if not for the bumpy driveway but my construction was shotty regardless, it was pretty wobbly). The last one I made, I haven't posted yet, I'll attach it here. I carved each tier at an angle and just stacked it but I think it looks best if you carve a flat base for each tier to sit on though. Each tier has to be pretty tall to go that route, at least four inches tall preferably more and if youre only doing two tiers, make a nice big topper because it looks best as a three tier, maybe a Christmas tree topper? I highly recommend following the CC tutorial, you can do it without carving the sides just fine.

Thanks the second one looks more of what i want to do right now since im new to TT cakes, you said you used more icng on one side i think i will cut the top layer at a slant do you think this would work ??

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 20

Stephanie, that's a beautiful TT! (sorry to hijack here, just had to comment!)

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 20

yes you can do it that way, your filling has to be buttercream otherwise it will slide and it works best if you have three layers per tier. Also be cautious with your angles if it's your first one. The tiers don't look too severe before they're assembed but once you get those tiers together, it can get kind of scary.

Thanks Callyssa!

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:

yes you can do it that way, your filling has to be buttercream otherwise it will slide and it works best if you have three layers per tier. Also be cautious with your angles if it's your first one. The tiers don't look too severe before they're assembed but once you get those tiers together, it can get kind of scary.

Thanks Callyssa!

Thank You , im going to give it a shot , i dont want to do 3 tieres cause my friend only wants 2 unless i can talk her into a 10-8-6
Thanks

stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 20

Good Luck!!! Can't wait to see it. I think 2 tiers would be just fine, easier in fact. Like I said, i would just suggest putting a decent size topper on it. The cake I posted in this thread doesn't look right without that flower on top because it's only two tiers.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 20

What I like to do is bake 3 layers for each tier...and then cut the angle right into the top cake. Two tiers is probably good to start with, lots of things can go wrong...like if you carve in too far on the sides or don't support it well enough. I've had to redo tiers a few times b/c I went to crazy with my carvingicon_wink.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

What I like to do is bake 3 layers for each tier...and then cut the angle right into the top cake. Two tiers is probably good to start with, lots of things can go wrong...like if you carve in too far on the sides or don't support it well enough. I've had to redo tiers a few times b/c I went to crazy with my carvingicon_wink.gif

so in other words, i need to bake 3 12in cakes and 3 8in cakes would you torte these or should i just put icing between the original layers? i love the cake that JKalman did but cant seem to get a reponse

and when you cut the top cake do you leave the base cake like it is?

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 20

I just did a topsy-turvey cake using the one cut method, I just collared my 3 inch pans, it turned out really nice. The cakes ended up being alittle over 4 inches. I used a 10 and 6inch cake. I did not carve the sides, but they almost look like they are carved because of the angles. Here is a pic!
LL

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

so in other words, i need to bake 3 12in cakes and 3 8in cakes would you torte these or should i just put icing between the original layers? i love the cake that JKalman did but cant seem to get a reponse

Yes, 3 12" cakes and 3 8". I meant cut the top cake of EACH tier...but you can do whatever you want....anything goes here! If you are going to do very minimal carving than you could probably get away with just 2 tall layers for each tier.

I looked again at Jkalman's cake and it looks like she did minimal carving, just a slight angle in the top and not too much on the sides... Here's a couple TT cakes that I did, both are 3 layers per tier. Also, check Antonia74's pics. She has a bunch of really great buttercream TT cakes in her photos.
LL
LL

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 20

I don't carve the hole - I've had so many issues that method!!

It is much easier to use Colette and Lindy Smith's method of just stacking them right on top of eath other, like normal.

To keep it all well supported, I glue 2 foam core boards together then glue those onto a piece of 1" styrofoam as my cake base. When I am done stacking my cakes, I hammer 2 or 3 dowels (depending on how large and heavy the cake is) all the way through the entire cake, down into the foam base.

I've never a problem traveling my topsy's fully assembled.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for starting this thread! I have some of the same questions!!

I am still not 100% completely sure how this works but I am going to jump in with both feet and try to conquer this mountain. I love love the look!!!

I think I am just assuming it is harder than it truly is!!!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #17 of 20

How does the one cut method work again? I thought the tutorial here on CC you had to carve a hole or something, and that seems waaay too scary for me! I remember reading about Lindy Smith's method but can't remember what it is I'm supposed to do? I guess it's time for me to jump in with both feet too and attempt to conquer the TT!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 20

I do everything the tutorial says, EXCEPT for carving that hole!
As everyone has said before, one tier is composed of three 2" cakes: an 8", a 9" and a 10" (for example).

To carve, stack them with the 10" on bottom because it's easier to carve that way - then flip it over, cut the 10" (top) at a diagonal horizontally, fill, and clean up uneven spots with a knife.

After all tiers have been carved, just stack like you would a normal stacked cake. Look up Lindy Smith "Cakes to inspire and desire" on Amazon. There is a "search inside this book" option. She shows carving a "wonky" cake on page 21 and explains doweling on page 22.
She writes: "The only difference here is that each dowel position will have to be measured and that the tops of the dowels will need to be cut at the same angle as the cake so that they will be flush with the icing."

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #19 of 20

I love the hole. It makes the upper tier sit level. I just make sure the cake is very, very cold (frozen even) before I carve it.

cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:52pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Yes, 3 12" cakes and 3 8". I meant cut the top cake of EACH tier...but you can do whatever you want....anything goes here! If you are going to do very minimal carving than you could probably get away with just 2 tall layers for each tier.

I looked again at Jkalman's cake and it looks like she did minimal carving, just a slight angle in the top and not too much on the sides... Here's a couple TT cakes that I did, both are 3 layers per tier. Also, check Antonia74's pics. She has a bunch of really great buttercream TT cakes in her photos.

This is cool i like the 2 tier one was it hard, or did you just cut off the top layer of each tier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%