Favorite Holiday Cakes....

Baking By Rhonda19 Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm by ceshell

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 6

HI ! I may have this in the wrong place on the message board, and if I do would one of the mods please move it??

I am wanting to know what everyone's favorite holiday cakes are?

My favorite for the the holidays is my mother's red velvet! She makes it with the traditional red velvet frosting and is just wonderful!!

What's yours??

5 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:02am
post #2 of 6

My HOLIDAY fav is the candy-cane cake (in my pix). It's just soooo good. And better, soooo easy to make! icon_biggrin.gif I luv RVC, however. LOVE it. Um, I'm also partial to the carrot cake. Melyssa pm'd me her recipe, oh MAN is it good. Well, and the Hershey Bake Off Winner was a true death-by-pms-chocolate cake. So that is good, too. I'm not one for eating chocolate cake unless it weighs a ton and heavy on the chocolate.

Holy cow, it is hard to decide.

Well...okay. ABSOLUTE favorite (holiday or not) cake is a luscious yummy serving of a home-made scratch cake that I DID NOT make! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:27am
post #3 of 6

I had a terrific chocolate-mint cake once, it really said "holiday season" to me. I have been wanting to try one myself forever, but our family tradition involves a (delicious) hazelnut cake so I need to find an excuse to do the chocolate-mint thing.

I like GI's idea about a favorite cake being any amazing homemade cake...made by someone else!! LOL I am so with you on that! GI if you want a death-by-pms-chocolate cake you should try the Scott Clark Woolley cake, it is fantastic! That is the one I have been dying to try "minted".

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

Wow Ceshell I checked out Scott Woolley's website! Holy cow but his work is fantastic! I tried to hunt down his chocolate cake recipe somewhere, couldn't find it anywhere. I would d-i-e to try it. I grew up on minted chocolate cake, if I had his recipe I would try it.

I love trying new recipes.

I've never been a hazelnut fan, but then I never tried it in a Cake! Yummy!! I always associate hazelnut with coffee drinkers.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 6

My favorite cake to make is a chocolate rum bundt cake made in my Nordicware/williams sonoma wreath bundt pan..It looks so nice and tatses so good..Everyone loves it!! The recipe is posted here on the site!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 6

GI, I posted it here, at the top of p.3 of the Hershey's cake thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html

That was two years ago, and I have since realized that the notation about the cake doming and cracking is not accurate. It bakes just fine. As for the not rising high in the pan, well, yes, it does not soar above your pan edges by three inches, but it still rises just fine. Best best best rich chocolatey cake I have ever made. So chocolatey in fact that at first I only iced it with vanilla IMBC, just to offset the chocolate (and it is reallllllllly good with IMBC). I figured ganache would be TOO MUCH chocolate. Then I remembered: "There is no such thing as too much chocolate!" and I iced it in bittersweet ganache. OMG!!

Sometimes I think people don't rave about this cake because it is TOO chocolatey; they like the lightly flavored kind they get from the box. I say: good, that's more leftover for MEEEEEEEEEE. icon_lol.gif

I can't decide whether it would be best to try minting the batter, or just mint the icing. I envision it with minted ganache....can you hear me drooling??!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%