Thinking About Teaching A Class

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm by rana_cis

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #1 of 7

This is something I've been thinking about for a little while, I thought that it might be fun. I also thought it would be a good chance to teach something a little different than what you learn with the Wilton course (ie. viva method, piping flowers right on the cake, etc). I have the videos online but I thought up close and personal might be a good way to go too.
What do you guys think? Anyone else out there an independant cake decorating teacher?

6 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 7

I recieved all of the course material for being a Wilton instructor for our local Hobby Lobby store. But after seeing all the paperwork involved I declined. I think I could have done it if it wasnt for that...it just seemed like it just would not be that much fun. And that was my reason for checking it out... But it may be what you want to do. I just know me and I would push the paperwork aside and not get it done. lol it good to know your own weaknesses!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 7

I worked with our community college to come up with a 22 to 26 week course in cake decorating. It is a certificate course and I teach all of the classes. It runs one night a week for 3 hours each night. It starts in the fall and runs until spring (with a break for Christmas) and they graduate in April. It consists of a 10 week beginners course, 5 week intermediate course, 6 week advanced course and also 6 electives. In order to get their certificate, they have to take the beginners, intermediate, advanced and 2 of the electives. I teach EVERYTHING you can think of to teach, from how to level and cover a cake to buttercream, color flow, royal, fondant, gumpaste, shaped cakes, etc.

I love doing it and this is my third year teaching.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:49am
post #4 of 7

I am planning on teaching classes out of my house starting February. I was trying for January, but couldn't get website, and all the stuff necessary. The nearest Wilton course is an hour and fifteen away...

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 7

Many of us Wilton instructors teach many alternate techniques, like the Viva method and piping flowers directly on cakes. icon_smile.gif People LOVE learning things that are not found printed in their Course books. I'm sure your classes will be no different, although people would not have books, unless you are printing some. You actually can be a WMI and teach many different methods and techniques. It's up to the individual instructor.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7

I have been an independant instructor for a number of years. I started out as a WMI, then got tired of having to try and sell products that I didn't think were worth the money!

I still use the Wilton Course books- students like to have something as a visual reference-but what I teach is more than is offered thru the book.

My classes are one day a week, for 2 hours: usually a 5-6 week course. I also teach some 3-day mini classes for just flowers, intro to wedding cakes, and an intro to gumpaste and fondant.

I teach from my home, as well as with a local high school as part of their adult education program.

It's been a lot of fun over the past 20 years! thumbs_up.gif

rana_cis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rana_cis Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

I was thinking about doing the same thing too in my place. but I was wondering how much do I need to charge each student per session. and do I have to be certified and what type of certificate I need to have?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%