What Is Your Cake Ocd?

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 5:53am by Idreamofcakes

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:33am
post #1 of 75

After this weekend I stopped to think about all of the OCD tendancies I have when I'm decorating a cake and I wondered if anyone else had them too (I really do hope I'm not alone or I'm going to have to defect from CC).

#1: I hate the feel of anything except my skin on my skin (does that make sense?). I hate the feel of buttercream, sticky fondant, 10x sugar... anything God didn't put there Himself.

#2: The sound of a metal icing spatula against the metal KitchenAid mixing bowl makes me want to rip off my ears (I'm a little on the dramatic side by the way).

#3: I loathe crumbs!

#4: I don't breathe when I'm transporting a cake.

My name is Tita9499 and I have a problem. I know the first step in kicking it is admitting it's there.

Your turn...

74 replies
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 75

I have 1,3 and 4. I also can't stand it if my buttercream isn't as smooth as glass. Of course it never is. Matter of fact, I can't stand anything less than perfection in anything. Other people seem to think I do a good job but I always think they are just being nice.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 75

I KNOW!! Isn't it amazing how you can see every little flaw in a cake that you do, but everyone else says, "It's so perfect!". I guess as long as they're happy right?

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #4 of 75

All of the above!! I am a perfectionist, clean freak in daily life.. so cakes have to be just right. Even after I always find some sort of flaw. My poor hubby delivers my cakes and I swear we argue the whole way to the destination.

My name is Melissa and I have a problem! haha

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 75

Hi. My name is Misty. And I have cake OCD. I have #1,2, and 3. I also cannot stand to have any used dishes, utensils, etc lying around while working. I keep a sink full of hoy soapy water while I work.

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #6 of 75

1) Cleanly cut fondant at the bottom edge. About 1 in every 20 or so cakes has the fondant peeled off for recovering. I drive my assistant nuts.

2) Porcelain cake toppers. Purchased cake toppers in general. They drive me nuts. Seriously, I can't get past it. And those silver metal cake display drums. Combined, they're a mustache on your Mona Lisa.

3) The feeling that my piping bags are never clean. The water never seems hot or soapy enough to get the grease out.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Hi. My name is Misty. And I have cake OCD. I have #1,2, and 3. I also cannot stand to have any used dishes, utensils, etc lying around while working. I keep a sink full of hoy soapy water while I work.

Great! Now I have to add another one because that bugs me too.

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I KNOW!! Isn't it amazing how you can see every little flaw in a cake that you do, but everyone else says, "It's so perfect!". I guess as long as they're happy right?

This is off topic, but I think it's amazing how a cake can look just fine until you photograph it. The camera finds and seems to highlight all the flaws. Amazing, those cameras.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #9 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsburyArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

This is off topic, but I think it's amazing how a cake can look just fine until you photograph it. The camera finds and seems to highlight all the flaws. Amazing, those cameras.

I find that to be absolutely true. I was thinking of buying one of those programs that photographers use to airbrush models so they look flawless. I figure if they do it to people, I should be able to do it to cakes.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #10 of 75

Hello....my name is Laura and I tooooo have a problem!!

1. I have to have smooth BC. I will go crazy for hours trying to get it perfect!
2. My Fondant ribbons have to be perfect...I don't know how many I have ripped apart and redone.
3. Nothing in my house leaves until it has a ribbon on the box...if the lid won't close and I can't get the ribbon on it, it causes me great stress.
4. I will take at least 20 pics of a cake to get the best pic...and no stuff in the background...I won't post it.

These are my quirks....come on ladies fess up, we are all a little touched!!! Or wait thats just my family.....

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #11 of 75

Hi my name is Christine and I have a problem...

I have most of the ones above, but my biggest one is I cannot stand it when my kids or dh watch me and ask a zillion questions or add their "artistic" input. I don't mind teaching ya all and listening to your advice, but do it on your bday cakes! lol

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #12 of 75

My name is Rayelle and I have a problem...

I hate anything that is not edible that I have to have on or in my cake...I know it is unavoidable most of the time...but I don't have to like it. icon_cry.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:18am
post #13 of 75

I agree with the "no stuff on my hands" one....can't stand food coloring or shortening or bc or anything. I wash my hands SO many times, until raw if its winter!

I hate anything that's not perfect, which means I usually hate my cakes. LOL. The worst is when my actual cake does NOT match the cake in my head. GRRRR.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #14 of 75

......The feeling that my piping bags are never clean. The water never seems hot or soapy enough to get the grease out.........cannot stand it when my kids or dh watch me and ask a zillion questions or add their "artistic" input....."no stuff on my hands".......

I'm with all of you on these. Really can't stand anyone watching me work...Makes me sooooooo nervous.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #15 of 75

Two of my boys in particular are always afraid I'm going to forget something on a cake. "Mom, it still needs eyes." "Mom, don't forget the ears." "Mom, are you going to do the blue part?"

No wonder I work AFTER bedtime on these cakes, usually....haha.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #16 of 75

Wow, these all sound interestingly familiar.........

Something I can't stand, and it's ridiculous I guess but can't let it go, is the underside of the cake boards. I spend so much time meticulously pleating and taping the underside, keeping the pleats the same size, and I have to make sure there is no foil or whatever in that circle that doesn't get taped down. There is seriously something wrong with me! Oh, and I also make sure the white side is on the bottom, since the entire top is covered anyway....that way, when someone is all finished with the cake and going to throw the boards away, they get to see what a nice and finished job I did on the UNDERSIDE of their cake board!!!!!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:37am
post #17 of 75

I also hate cameras. The picture never comes out as the cake really looks.

I hate it when people call on Friday for a cake on Sunday, But I go ahead and make it because they are good customers and I don't have the guts to say no.

I can't stand beautiful cakes that taste like crap. At the Fair this year, I overheard these two decorators talking about their beautiful cakes. They were saying "thank God they let us use Styrofoam, because we are decorators not cake makers. What's the point?

I also can't stand not having enough space. I have a cake room which holds all my supplies, my kitchen is always covered in cake stuff, and now my husband had set up a long table in the living room which is always filled with cake stuff, cakes, cookies, or cake boards drying. I need a house just for the cakes, and I only do this has a hobby.

I hate how much postage costs to get our products. I feel like we pay way to much, like $6 for a cookie cutter, what's up with that?

Okay, now I am feeling chronic. That's all I have to say about that!

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:20am
post #18 of 75

I have a thing about cake colourings. I refuse to do cakes for children that involve loads of colour in the cake and/or the decorations. Pastels I'm OK with but prefer to do white cakes with coloured accents. I think this is more to do with principals and health than an OCD but I know some people will view this as OTT.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #19 of 75

DITTO DEETMAR! Sorry for the yelling, but I really wanted to high five you on all of that.

Callyssa: I couldn't help but chuckle at yours because I started getting stressed out reading it!

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

My name is Rayelle and I have a problem...

I hate anything that is not edible that I have to have on or in my cake...I know it is unavoidable most of the time...but I don't have to like it. icon_cry.gif

I have this same affliction but to the point where I won't do a cake unless everything is edible.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #21 of 75

okay, not sure if this is OCD but I've been accused of it. My biggest issue is symmetry......I have so much trouble when someone wants a cake that has stuff on it that is not balanced it bugs me so much. It's the hardest thing in the world for me to do stuff like "random dots" it winds up looking like a print on the cake because I wind up spacing them perfectly and Im trying NOT to!
Or when someone wants a topper to one side of the cake and then the next tier they want flowers to that side too, I'm like....... that will look unbalanced and they say, oh that's ok I don't mind.......aaaaahhhhhh it bugs me! I wind up giving them the plain cake with the toppers separately! LOL Or how about when someone wants a cake that doesn't even match ITSELF....that drives me insane! They want a whole cake green and white and then they want you to put a blue topper on it.......what?????????? Where did that color come from?? That drives me crazy! Then you give it to them and they LOVE it! go figure.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #22 of 75

OHG! I'm just glad to read so many of these, that bug me too!
1. Messy workstations
2. Greasy pastry bags
3. Family, becoming armchair decorating experts
4. Dark colors on cakes - I just see black and blue mouths!
5. Unsmooth buttercream - can't seem to fix that one!

Glad to know I'm not alone....

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #23 of 75

I am not considered an OCD person, as I am messy by nature and destroy my kitchen and clothes everytime I make a cake.

However, I suppose I have a few.

#1. Ditto to the camera/pictures. My 'stage' has to be perfect, and typically clear of all background distractions. Also, take around 10 pictures of every cake until I get the 'perfect one'.

#2. Think about the things that I could have done differently...and continue to discuss them even after the cake is done. Drives my DH batty!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #24 of 75

OH, I so have the "random dot" one too. I couldn't do random if my life depended on it. My friend can always see the pattern in my randomness.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

okay, not sure if this is OCD but I've been accused of it.

LOL! Doubt no more, that's definitely OCD, but I get what you mean!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:06pm
post #26 of 75

I actually have OCD... I was diagnosed (three years LATE) with Post Partum OCD~ here are some of mine (I like to call them "quirks" icon_rolleyes.gif)

1. handwashing... no one can ever accuse me of handling food
with soiled hands. Washing constantly while baking for someone.
2. public bathroom germs: (pround "foot flusher" and I touch nothing
without a paper towel. (I do not have this issue with family/friends)
4. crumb coating: I might as well set aside an entire evening icon_rolleyes.gif
5. checking faucets/lightswitches/stove/door: at night mostly
6. People handing my food: no thanks! icon_razz.gif

I'll stop there, but overall I am actually a very well adjusted person. icon_smile.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:15pm
post #27 of 75

OCD #1: When the cake I design on paper looks nothing like the finished product!

OCD #2: Having to buy last minute cake boxes from Micheals or Wal-Mart!

OCD #3: When my chocolate frosting firms up too fast!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:25pm
post #28 of 75

My problem is not leaving well alone. If I spot the tiniest flaw on a cake I try to fix it, often turning it into something worse! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE WOMAN!!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:26pm
post #29 of 75

You ladies make my day! icon_biggrin.gif

Hello, my name is Rosie and I have a problem...

'Ditto in all of the aboveeeee'!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif clean freak, unsmooth cakes, messy workstation, nothing (nothing!) un-eatable on a cake etc, etc, etc,

However, in the perfectionism issue...I've been un-perfect for 3 months and beggining to have a feeling of freedom... icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 75

Don't stand over me while I am decorating and don't question me. Most times I know what I want to do in my head. When I am finished, you are more than welcome to comment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%