Football Facemask Need Help Constructing Facemask

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm by krissy_kze

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 9

cany anyone help me? I need it asap. Thanks.

8 replies
dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #2 of 9

I just finished a football helmet cake & the best tip I have is... borrow a real one. I'm not trying to be rude, honestly, but I knew the face mask could make or break my cake and it was for the HS Football banquet, so I didn't want to take any chances. I previously started one out of royal icing (piped on parchment paper over a round food storage container) just in case I couldn't borrow one from the team, but they were happy to help me. I just washed it with clorox-water. I am waiting to hear back anytime now on what the players thought.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 9

My option is not an edible one either, but it worked well. I rolled up fondant into long "sausage" shapes & inserted floral wire to get them to bend into & hold the shape that I wanted. I used 3 long pieces for the mask (one in a "u" shape & 2 going across it). I then pushed the mask up against the cake where they met with another fondant "sausage" shape that I had put around the front edge of the cake (no wire in that piece).

Below is a picture to give you a better idea of what I am describing. I know my mask wasn't a perfect replica but it gave the right idea. It was just for my hubby's birthday (not for sale) & I only had an hour or so to put the whole cake together. Once we were ready to cut it, I just pulled the front mask part off. If I ever do it again for a client I would probably make it a little more accurate.
LL

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9

Well, I would use a real face mask but my helmets will be mini helmets and the only real ones I found were $21.00 and I need 2 of them. I think I will try the fondant route. Thanks.
Angie

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 9

I also placed fondant around wire to hold the shape. This way it won't break or loose shape. Look in my pics to see if you would like. Mine was for a newly drafted player and he loved it......good luck!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 9

do you think royal icing would work, I have the same problem and the cake id due on Sat.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 9

I think royal icing would work ok if you can get it in the right shape (lay it over a coffee can, etc. to dry. The only problem is that it will be super fragile & you would have to worry about it breaking. If you go that route, I would probably make an extra one just in case since this is your first time doing it & it is for a paid client.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:15am
post #8 of 9

i bought a full face mask at the athletic store, and will use it as a template from here on out, so no wasted money, really. what i did was make some gumpaste with tylose powder mixed in the night before needed...layed the mask over a coffee can and greased the bars so my gumpaste wouldn't stick. layed my gumpaste over it and formed it, then stuck a fan on it over night and thru the day clear up till that evening at delivery time. i also made the mouthgard out of gumpaste. you can check it out in my photos...ut vols/peyton manning.

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 9

I know it's too late but for future cakes you can use lollipop sticks. I carefully curved them and hot-glued them where necessary. MUCH easier than trying gumpaste or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%