Cookies Didnt Turn Out Help Please

Baking By katiecake Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm by TracyLH

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 4

I made the sugar cookies from the wilton annual book. I did use unbleached flour and unsalted butter this time. They puffed up and then collapsed and spread out and are kind of crackled looking
any ideas what I did wrong
they taste ok maybe a little crunchy.... the kids wont care but they usually turn out better
thanks in advance

3 replies
SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

did you put the cookie dough in the fridge to set before baking them? If not next time try putting the dough in the fridge to chill....if you use cookie cutters cut them out and then put the cut out dough in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes to chill before baking....this will help them to keep their shape

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

Usually when sugar cookies spread its because they are too warm before hand. Sometimes after I cut out my dough I will go back and stick them in the fridge for a bit. This helps with the spreading. Also, your oven temp might be a bit too hot. Try turning it down next time and you shouldnt have the burning.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 4

I haven't tried the Wilton recipe, but here is one a lot of us use that holds its shape pretty well:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

I second what the is being said, chilling the cutout cookies is really, really important.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%