Antiquing?

Decorating By Price Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm by Price

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

Any suggestions on a method to use to make a piece of fondant antiqued? I don't have an airbrush.

You know the look a cabinet would have that was antiqued? It might be an ivory or brownish red with some darker irregluar streaks thru it. That's the kind of look I'm going for.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 5

Thin, lighten your paste/gel colors w/vodka or somesuch. If it still needs to be lighter add a bit of cornstarch.
Have a soft paper towel handy & once you brush on the color wipe it off right away.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 5

Yep, kakeladi is right...I did this by mistake. Wanted to make my first ever fondant teddy bear brown (I was goofing around with fondant and it was white) so I put some brown Wilton gel in to some vodka and it was like a wash. I put two coats on to see if it would darken...it did, and my teddy looks like an antique toy from an old Santa lithograph. I think the brown would be a good choice for an antique look, IMHO.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 5

Here's one; I did this on a cottage (that has somehow mysteriously disappeared from my photos.....grrrr!), but first I tinted my fondant an ivory/light tan color. Then I just used regular vanilla extract and added in some Wilton brown (it's all I had). I brushed it on with a fairly wide flat brush, and left the streaks it made, as well as some places were darker than others. I'm showing you the back since there was more "open" space for you to see the antiquing. I can't wait to do this on an elegant cake with flowers; I hope you will post your picture when you get it finished so we all can see!

This is so funny! It looks like the cake is going to fall off it's stand! It was on a cake pedestal, and I must have had the camera slightly angled when I took the pic, it really didn't look like this!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much. I won't be doing the cake until much later. It is still in the planning stages, but I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so that I have an idea of what I want to do and go about it. I will definitely post when it is done. I'm going to take your suggestions and play around with it before I do it on the actual cake.

Thanks again!
Jean

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%